Chapter Nine- Arizona's Past

"Go fish." I told my dad and watched as he took a card from the pile in the middle of the table. I laughed as a huge grin formed on his lips. That's how sad my life had become, the highlight of my week had been playing this card game with my dad.

This past week I had done nothing. I hadn't even bothered to go to school, I couldn't face it. I wasn't ready to hear what people had to say about me now they knew I was gay, then again I don't think I'll ever be ready. Arizona brought around all the work I had missed everyday, but she never stayed long enough for me to apologise to her. I had treated her so awfully, I don't even deserve her forgiveness.

Courtney too, had visited everyday, begging me to listen to her excuses, only to be sent away by my dad. She tried calling and texting me but I ignored her calls and deleted her texts before I even read them. I couldn't talk to her, I know that it if I did, it was likely that I would forgive her and go straight back to her side. I couldn't do that, not again. I couldn't go through the pain of having my heart broken again.

It wasn't just Courtney I blamed. I blamed myself just as much, perhaps more. I was the fool who had allowed her to walk all over me for years, I had the chance to walk away but I didn't, I was too weak.

"Princess?" My dad's voice brought me back to reality. I shook my head, erasing all thoughts of Courtney, all they did was bring me misery and heart ache.

"Sorry. Have you got any fours?" I asked.

We continued to play the card game until my mum arrived home from work. We finished our game and the two of us finished off preparing dinner and set the table for the three of us to sit down and have a meal together, the first meal the three of us have shared together for days. My mum was always too busy with work to arrive home any time before 10 pm, meaning it was usually just me and my dad, which I, personally, didn't mind in the slightest.

The atmosphere was awkward as we sat down to enjoy the meal. My mum refused to look up from her plate and contribute in the conversation throughout the majority of the meal, so it came as a surprise to both my dad and I when she started a new conversation.

"I heard a funny story today." She said, smiling a fake smile. I swallowed nervously, knowing that she can't have been impressed by this story.

"Care to share this funny story Jessica?" My dad asked, pushing his food around his plate, not eating any of it. I sent him a look, but he ignored as he continued to press her for the details.

"Well Nathaniel, this morning while us girls were working, we got onto the topic of our precious children." I froze, knowing exactly where this was heading. "So, of course I mention our Michaela-"

"Mum..." I cut her off, trying my best to stop her from talking. She didn't even so much as glance in my direction, instead she kept her eyes focused on my dad's face.

"Here's the funny part. They seem to be under the impression that our little girl is a... a dyke." A gasp escaped my lips at her terminology. I hated that word. I especially hated it when Courtney had used it, but now the word sounded so spiteful coming out of my mums mouth. I bit down on my knuckle as I did my best to stop the tears falling.

My eyes scanned my dad's face. He looked angrier than I had ever seen him. "What did you call her?" He wasn't shouting, but the tone of his voice had me terrified. Growing up, he had not once raised his voice to me nor my mum, and I was scared that today might just be the day he ended that record.

"I didn't call her anything, because she's not..." She trailed off, and for the first time in the whole conversation she looked at me. I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes, instead I kept my eyes focused on my plate of food, willing myself not to cry. "You're not are you?"