Chapter 29- Home At Last

Christine Daae

            "Wake up, Christine!", I heard an all too well tone squeal. I opened my eyes to see Meg, standing at the foot of my bed with Raoul wrapping his arms around his waist. I smiled at the sight of my friends so happy.

            "What is it, Meg?", I mumbled, sitting up from my hospital bed.

             "We are taking you out of this place!", She grabbed a dress that was set on a chair and handed it to me. "Get dressed."

            As soon as I was dressed, I brushed my hair and washed off my engagement ring, smiling at it. Meg banged on the door, making me jump.

          "Hurry!", I laughed at Meg's eagerness.

            "So where are we going? Surely Erik must know. Where is Erik?", I asked as Meg helped me into the carriage.

         "Yes, Erik knows. It's a surprise.", She chirped.

          I closed my eyes until the carriage stopped and I felt a door open. I opened my eyes and rubbed them wearily.

        "Good evening, sleeping beauty.", Erik's voice cooed and I smiled. I hugged him tightly as he helped me out of the carriage.

         "I missed you so much!", I confessed. He nodded and kissed my cheek. I looked around at the scenery. "Why are we in the middle of a forest?", I asked curiously.

          "We have a little more ways to go, Angel.", Erik smiled. He helped me into a different carriage and said goodbye to Meg. I played with my hair, trying to stay awake so Erik wouldn't find me asleep once more. Surprisingly, the carriage stopped after a few minutes. Erik opened the carriage door and handed me a scarf.

       "Tie that around your eyes. This is a surprise.", He instructed me and I followed his instructions. He held my hand and slowly guided me, talking about how he hoped I would like my surprise. Finally, he allowed me to take off the scarf. Slowly, I opened my eyes to see a beautiful home, lit up with gigantic windows.

        "Welcome to our new home.", Erik whispered in my ear.

           "Do you mean it?", My eyes widened as I looked at him. He nodded and cupped my face. "Erik, this is wonderful, simply wonderful. Thank you so much!", I cried tears of joy as he kissed my cheek.

             "Do you wish to go inside?", He held my hand.

              "I do."

           We made our way to the front door and Erik unlocked it, opening the door for me. I smiled gratefully as I walked inside. There had to be at least four bedrooms and four bathrooms. The master bedroom was beautifully decorated and surprisingly light colored for Erik's taste.

           "The best part, I think, is the basement.", He opened the door to the basement for me and walked down the stairs. I walked down to see a beautiful music room, with a large organ and piano.

            "Erik..."

             "I know you must be thinking I am broke, but I promise you-"

               "It's perfect. I love it.", I turned to him and smiled. He began to sing my favorite song and I closed my eyes, letting the music surround me.

                "Turn your face away from the garish light of day.", He sang, sending chills down my back. By the end, I was completely enchanted by his voice. He carried me to bed and sang softly in my ear.

                "You alone can make my song take flight, for you have made the music of the night..."

Erik Destler

       I awoke in the middle of the night to head music coming from the basement. I turned to look at Christine, but she wasn't there. I slowly slipped out of bed and quietly made my way down to the basement. I stayed in the shadows, listening to Christine play the piano.

         "Who knows when love beings, who knows what makes it start. One day it's simply there, alive, inside your heart. It slips into your thoughts, it infiltrates your soul. It takes you by surprise, then seizes full control.", I had left out sheets of music I had been composing on. She was playing my most recent song, but I hadn't completed the words yet. She seemed to be finding words perfectly for this song.

          "Try to deny it and try to resist, but love won't let you go once you've been possessed.", She took a drop breath before continuing to sing. "Love never dies. Love never falters. Once it has spoken, love is yours. Love never fades. Love never alters. Hearts may get broken, love endures. Hearts may get broken, love endures.", She played the piano so gently and, although Christine sings with an immense amount of passion, I had never heard her sing with so much love before.

        "And soon as you submit, surrender flesh and bone,  that love takes on a life much bigger than your own. It used you at whim and drives you to despair and forces you to feel more joy than you can bear.", I had never seen her soar like this before.

          "Love gives you pleasure and love brings you pain and, yet, when both are gone, love will still remain.", I couldn't comprehend how beautiful my Christine truly was. "Once it has spoken, love is yours... Love never dies! Love never alters! Hearts may get broken, love endures. Hearts may get broken!"

           "Love never dies! Love will continue! Love keeps on beating when you're gone. Love never dies once it is in you. Life may be fleeting, love lives on! Life may be fleeting! Love...lives..on.", She finished gently, and took her hands off the keys. I couldn't help but to burst out in claps. She jumped and looked at me.

         "H-how much did you hear?", she stuttered. I smiled and intertwined my fingers with hers.

            "Ah Christine, my Christine what a triumph you gave me tonight! My Christine, the two dark, silent years now set right! Ah Christine!", I sang to her, smiling. She giggled, letting the adrenalin course through her veins.

           "The song was beautiful, it sounded  beautiful! Every note, every word.", she smiled as she concentrated on our hands. I wrapped my arms around her and she held my hands once more, her back facing me.

           "And it felt beautiful, and I felt beautiful!, she beamed.

             "Lost in the music once more, feeling it rise up and soar, alive once again!", We sang. I turned her around, kissing her with an overwhelming amount of passion. Oh, how I had missed my angel in my arms.

So here's a chapter for you guys. I hope you like it!!