Chapter 1 - Death Leaves A Heartache

Let me introduce myself to you.

My name is Azrael - Azrael Cowden to human beings. I'm sure my brother mentioned my name already but in case you don't remember who exactly I am, I am the Grim Reaper or you may call me Death - or Raz.

I'm the oldest angel of all and I am here since the beginning.
I was there when earth was created, when the dinosaurs died out and I have always been quite sure that I will be there until the end of earth.

I know everything that ever happened, in heaven, on earth and in hell. I know every dirty little secret of my brothers and sisters and even of our father, but I won't tell you those secrets now. I'll tell you along with me story because I discovered most of them during my journey. Before I start my story I want to give away some details of my life beforehand.

For now I want to tell you about my life and about my job but later I'll talk about the about the state of being dead for a while. Not to forget the most important thing - I'm going to tell you about what or who destroyed all our lives. The life of every single angel.

Let me start with my looks. As an angel I got golden wings, but on earth I look like an ordinary human being. My eyes are blue - gunmetal blue and they got tiny brown dots in between all the blue. I prefer wearing white or colourful clothing. By humans I am expected to wear a black hood and they think I would be made of bones but none of this is true.

They expect me to be evil and ugly but I'm not. They think I am the destroyer of their lives but I lead them to a better one. The life they had always been dreaming of.
Human beings think I use my scythe to kill them but I don't do this either. I got a scythe but it is my weapon. Just like the weapon of every other angel is a dual dagger and the archangels got archangel swords - which only they can use. Their swords are like Thor's hammer to us, we can't even pick them up.

So I am not evil and like you may have guessed already, I simply look like a human being who has got golden brown hair which is wavy - just as a footnote.

There is another major mistake about my person - the one thing you maybe didn't expect either is that I am female.

During my stay on earth I worked a lot of different jobs. Not because I need the money; not because I want a lot of money but because I want to help the humans. Currently I am working as a doctor.
Like I already said, I don't destroy their life. I try to save it because I don't want them to lose their beloved ones but I am not allowed to ignore anyone who is about to die. When their time has come I need to take them to the other side but there is an exception. When anyone manages to save them their time will load up and they got more time - so this is what I am doing. I bend the rules.

I am not the only one who leads humans to heaven. I got a lot of help because I would never be able to care about the whole planet on my own. I can tell my helpers what they have to do, I am their boss, but mostly they handle this job really well on their own.
The ironic thing about leading humans to their heaven are two things. First, I can't die. No matter how - no matter if an angel would stab me, a truck would run over me or if someone would cut out my guts - I wouldn't die. It would heal within seconds and I would continue my life as a 28-year-old human being and 4.6 billion year-old angel. The other ironic thing is that even though I've been to human heaven so often already, I have never been to our heaven. I have never been "home".

I was created on earth because death had to be omnipresent and that's why I never managed to leave.

Anyway, currently my house has situated close to New York City. It was a lovely little farmhouse with a garden around it. I didn't like the noise and hurry of this big city, I preferred it silent. I wanted to have some rest at home, even though I don't need to rest.

I can't sleep, I don't need nourishment and I don't need warmth. I was resistant to all the troubles of human life. I couldn't feel things like hunger, thirst, cold or tiredness - but I doubt I would want to. I can feel all the good things like love, happiness, fascination, trust and so much more but I would never feel guilty or sad about the death of any human being - but I was able to feel everything towards other angels.

But enough from explaining my life. I'm sure it would be much more appreciated if I finally start at the begin of my story.

3 months to go.