Chapter 14 - Complicated

[...] "Once more, where is your brother? Where is Cupid?"

"I-...I don't know." The last bits of air left my lungs and needed to get out of her grip as soon as possible. Hundreds of unhelpful ideas rushed through my brain and I couldn't concentrate on a thought.
I felt myself drifting away more and more from reality, when suddenly I had a clear moment - an easy way to get away.

Heat overcame me and the next second I stood a few meters away from the demon. She turned around to me swiftly while cursing and pressing her hand into a fist. The skin on her hand was red and her veins were showing all over it. The fire which burned me to teleport, burned her while I did so.

Now she was angry. The girl clenched her jaw and her eyes turned dark. "I should stab you." She grumbled and pull out a long, silver knife she was hiding in her pocket.

Slowly she moved closer to me and she let the knife wander from one hand in the other. She didn't even flinch when the knife touched her burned hand. Instinctively I took a step back but a pillar stopped me from going further.
The demon came closer and fear controlled my body and all I could think was Run. I never had to deal with a demon before but now that I had to it was frightening. The strength they had, no one knew about it, who knows what else they were capable of?

I wasn't afraid of her because she wanted to kill me, I wouldn't die, I was afraid of the pain - and of the unknown. I didn't know what else she could do; what other powers she had; what horrible things she could do.

When she was only a meter away from me I slipped around the cold cement of the pillar so there remaind some distance between us.

"What do you want from Cupid?" I asked while I walked backwards, away from her.

"Doing my job." The demon replied and suddenly she turned to black smoke like the smoke that covered my body when we got here. The dark cloud was only visible for seconds before it vanished.

I wasn't sure if I should feel relieved or even more fearful. It was too easy. She wasn't gone. I was sure about that.
It's easy to fool the eye.

My eyes searched the hall but there wasn't anyone and no dark smoke either. She seemed to be gone and right when I was about to feel some relief, I felt something else - something real. Her hand was holding my shoulder tightly from the back and when I wanted to reacted I already felt piercing pain shooting through my back which spread out in my whole body.

I looked down at my chest where the bloody end of the knife came out. My dress sucked in the blood which was streaming out which made it look like it could be used in a horror movie.
Nothing seemed real anymore. I felt numb. Only my hands wandered up to the wound before I collapsed on the floor.

My eyes were open and my whole body hurt but I wasn't able to move. Then I heard some steps. The girl walked to me but I couldn't see up to her face, I only saw her legs and then kneeled down and laughed.

"Now you can't run away anymore and you only have a few minutes left until you die. Do I need to let you suffer in your last few minutes or will you tell me and die with the few remaining pieces of self esteem you still have?" She asked and pulled the knife out of my back, which was nearly just as painful as when it came in.

I gritted my teeth and hissed "Keeping my self esteem means not betraying my brother."

"Once more you choose pain." She laughed and put her hand on my jaw to turn my face more towards her. The girl held the knife to my cheek "Maybe I should cut your eye out."

"Maybe you shouldn't take so long." I groaned and she looked perplexed for a second but then I slapped the knife out her hand and teleported myself again.

I wasn't able to die. My body healed and my anger against her grew immensely.
Now I stood in front of her and she still was confused about what was going on but she stood up after picking up her knife.

"You have no idea who you are messing with." I spoked confidently and full of anger. I held my hand up in the air and light started glowing in it until my weapon formed in it. My scythe appeared in my hand and so I lowered it again while putting my left hand on it. I glared at the demon and now she was the one who was scared.

"why-...Why aren't you dead?" She hesitated to speak and for the first time her expression fitted to the face of the 15 year old. She wasn't intimidating anymore, she looked like a scared child.

"Oh, you don't know you I am?" I replied as ironic as I could "You should have done your research."

I walked closer to her but she looked around for a way to run. The girl turned around and started running. She was just as scared as I was, so she also forgot about the easiest way to get away - teleporting. She got closer to the door but I didn't even move yet.
Then I made my turn, I teleported myself out of the building, in front of the door.

The demon stopped running when she saw me and wanted to turn around again to run through the door but I shut it with my powers.
She turned back to me. Now there was no way out.
I held my scythe tight and hauled off with it.

"I am Death."