Chapter 16 - Devil On Fire

"Why are they coming here?" I asked him shocked.

"They want to find Cupid and you seem to be the last one who spoke to him - and they don't like you." Lucifer said with a serious voice and picked up the bag. Then he walked to me and while he put his hand on my shoulder he started burning and just seconds later the fire also took over my body.
It was dark for a second and then we stood in Lucifer's living room.

He walked away from me, switched on the light and then he sat down on the couch crossing his legs.
I stood there for a while until he patted the place beside him so I moved and sat down.

Ever since he arrived at my house there had been a lot of questions which wanted to get out of my mind. Everything happened so fast and there was so little explanation done.

"Why Cupid? Why have the demons never tried to get you? How come you know they are looking for me? How-..." the questions seemed to sputter but Lucifer cut me off.

"Look, it's not that easy. I'm trying to figure out what's going on since quite a while. I know a lot and I will explain everything to you, but you have to promise me to be careful." He answered. Finally he seemed to be calm. Finally he wanted to clear the situation.

"I'll be careful."

"Good. As I said, I tried to figure out what's going on since a long time and I could always guess who was planning all this but I never had some real evidence. I always knew he was jealous, if not crazy but now I have some proof. The one who did all the bad things that ever happened to us, the one who told the demons to hunt Cupid, it was-..." He wanted to tell me, I could see it in his eyes but before he could, he burned. Panic grew in his eyes when his body lit up but he was gone so fast, he wasn't able to tell me who it was. Someone teleported him, so someone knew he wasn't in hell.

"Lucifer!" I called out while getting on my legs but I knew it was pointless. He was gone and he took his information with him. There was no way in finding him, except if I'd search the whole planet and heaven, which I didn't have time for.

I looked around in the dull room, hoping to see something that could help me but the only thing that caught my attention was something that I didn't see anymore. Lucifer and his wife, Amber, used to have a lot of photos of them standing on their shelves but now all the photos of Amber were gone. Only the photos of Lucifer were left and they slowly collected dust.

I made my way to their bedroom to check if the photos there were gone as well.
The bedroom still looked perfect as always. Everything was tidy at the first look but looking closer you could see the dust on the furniture as well. The room hadn't been touched for week and only the pictures had disappeared too.

I knew this room wouldn't help me find Lucifer nor would it have any signs of who did all those horrible things and also not about what the demons are up to. I was completely clueless.

There was only one thing I knew for sure - I needed to make sure Cupid wouldn't go to my house, under no circumstances.

I didn't know where we lived and I never got the change to ask for his phone number so there was only one place where I could hopefully get this information - at the hospital.
I closed my eyes for a moment and inhaled deeply while concentrating on the roof top of the hospital.

When I arrived there it was dark but the skyscrapers surrounding the hospital offered some weak light and even though it was still noisy up there, it was quieter than usually. It was like when the demons took off to my place they took all the noise with them, like they caused all the trouble in the city.

I wondered how many of them actually went to my house while I walked down the stairs. This wasn't the only thing that bothered me, also what they would do if they find me, after all I killed one of them, and if Cupid was safe.
At the reception I looked for a file which would have written "Cupid" on it but all the files only had last names written on them which made me question if I'd ever find it.

I had a look at some files, hoping I would read something about a middle aged man who was beaten up and stumbled in the hospital, but nothing, not even close.

"Are you looking for something?" A familiar male voice asked from behind. I jumped lightly because I felt like I was doing something illegal but I wasn't and so I turned around. Looking up I saw it was Taylor. He was wearing casual clothes because his shift had ended a few minutes ago and he looked at me with a smile.

I wasn't sure if I should tell him what I was looking for but then I realized that there was no reason to keep it as a secret, so I explained to him "I'm looking for the file of Cupid. I don't know his last name but it is important. Do you know which one it is?"

The corner of his mouth twitched lightly and he walked closer to the reception until he stood right beside me. Afterwards he picked up a file with the name "Ferron" on it and held it to me. "I guess this is what you were looking for." He smiled charmingly.

"Thank you." I replied and took the light brown folder. There only had been two pages inside. One about his accident and one was about general data.
I let my finger slide over the paper until I found what I was looking for. "Warren Street 34b." I mumble, talking more to myself than to Taylor.

"Thanks." I replied with a smile and then I headed outside, leaving all the mess I made at the reception. When I was outside I jogged away from the hospital until I was alone. Then I let the fire take over my body, while I was still moving, until I appeared close to the apartment building Cupid was living at.