Chapter Two

"I can't believe you got paired up with him," Gabe mumbled over the phone.

"I know! I asked to switch but she just said 'Oh, Kellin, don't be like that. You'll have to be paired up with people you don't like sometime in your life and you will have to deal with it.'" I said, mimicking my teacher. "God, this is going to turn out horrible."

"Well, you never really know. You guys can have a lot in common and not know it," He said. I rolled my eyes even though he wasn't able to see me.

"Yeah, right. Because we totally have a bunch in common." I said sarcastically.

"Like I said, you never know. Just give him a chance, okay? He can't be that bad."

"Okay, fine. I have to go to work, I'll talk to you later." I said and hung up.

I guess Gabe was right. It wouldn't hurt just to try. Maybe we do have some things in common. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the project wasn't that much of a partner thing.

All we had to do was hang out and make a video saying what we think about your partner. We can both just say we hung out a lot, and then lie in the video! I started thinking about it and then I smiled at my idea.

I drove off to my new job that I'm starting today. Finally, after years of searching for jobs and getting fired from a bunch, I think I finally found the perfect one. I was a waiter at a new diner that opened up a couple weeks ago. I was passing by it and saw the help wanted sign and decided to give it a try. Turns out, the manager was really friendly and told me I was hired. I knew it couldn't be that bad of a job. All I did was ask people what they want, bring it out to them, then clean their tables.

I arrived at the diner and parked in an empty space before getting out of my car and walking inside. As soon as I walked in I saw Vic and his friends sitting in a booth in the back corner. I let out an annoyed sigh and hoped that I wouldn't have to serve them. I went to the back to get my apron and saw my manager standing there talking someone.

"Hey!" She said as soon as she saw me. The boy who she was talking to turned around and gave me a charming smile. "Kellin, this is Max. And Max, this is Kellin." She said, introducing us.

"Hello, Kellin." He said putting his hand out for me to shake. I grabbed it and shook it, saying a small hello back. I couldn't help but stare at him, he was honestly very charming. He had brown hair that was up and glasses that went over his brown eyes. He couldn't stop smiling which showed off his perfect teeth and deep dimples.

"Well you two go start your jobs. If you need anything I'll be back here in my office." She said and left. We both glanced at each other before walking out and going to start our jobs.

I looked around and noticed that all the tables that were full all had food in front of them besides two. The one with Vic and his friends, and another with a couple. I was heading for the one with the couple, trying to avoid Vic, but Max got to the table before I did. "Bitch." I mumbled quietly to myself before making my way to the other table.

"What can I get for you?" I asked them as I got to their table. I tried to put on my best happy face and voice, but it didn't work.

"Aw look who's serving us, its pretty boy!" One of Vics friends, Chase I think his name was, said.

"Did you mean fag boy?" Someone else in the group commented, and they all erupted with laughter, even Vic.

"Look, just tell me what you want so I can go and get it." I said getting annoyed with them.

"Calm down there, gay boy. Just get us some fries and cokes." Chase said. I wrote the order down on the small notebook and quickly walked away.

I wasn't hurt by what he had said, I was used to it by now. I have been bullied ever since I have came out. Not badly bullied, just name callings thrown at me, but they didn't effect me at all. And it's not like the whole school does it, because they don't. Its mostly just that group of kids, everyone else accepts me for who I am.