Chapter 3

AMBREE'S POV

Chapter 3  

After parking the car and walking to the entrance we were finally through the gates. It was warm out, the sun was warm but not too strong, the bright blue sky had some clouds but only enough to offer slight protection front the sun. They weren't rain clouds , just barely wisps of white as though someone had taken a paint brush to the pure blue sky and streaked it across the sky . Since it was earlier on the evening the carnival wasn't very busy. A few small families with younger children who would need to be in bed by seven, some older couples who would also be in bed by seven and the occasional person walking alone. I closed my eyes and breathed in the delicious carnival sent. It was a mixture of sweet Cotten candy, oily French fries and smokey barbecue. It was making me hungry.  

" Can we get some food?" I looked at my mother with big begging eyes, and flashed a large smile pleadingly.  

" Darling the food here is absolutely horrible for you, it's full of processed sugar, nitrates and not to mention all the oils and fats in them." My smile was gone. I pouted my lips.  

" But mommy I'm hungry,"  

"I think I have some almonds in my bag." I didn't want almonds. I wanted warm, sticky, fried dough covered in powdered sugar. She started digging around in her purse. I hope they're at least salted. She kept digging and moving things around in her seemingly bottomless bag. I swear she got it from Mary Poppins herself. She finally pulled out a small ziplock bag with about ten almonds in it. I grabbed it from her out stretched hand and faked another smile.  

"I know you kids want to go off and hang out without your parents, but I want us to spend some time together. Lets go look at the venders for a bit before I let you two wonder off alone." She was right, we didn't want to spend the evening following her around and holding her bags for her. We started walking towards the rows of white tents, full of venders selling everything from kettle corn to beeswax. I opened the bag of almonds and popped one in my mouth. Of course they weren't salted! Or roasted. So bland. I chewed slowly trying to make them last but it was no use. By the time we reached the tent I had eaten all of them and was still hungry. I tossed the bag in an over flowing trash bin that we walked by.  

We reached the tents and walked down the first row, looking at everything that was being offered. My mother dragged us all into one selling handmade, certified organic soaps made with goats milk. I had to admit the all smelled delicious. She eventually made us all pick one or two different scents, the girl selling them was small and frail, she was taller than I was but only by a few inches. Her hair was light and pulled back away from her face in a short braid. She wasn't wearing makeup and looked shy. She wrapped the bars of soap in paper and placed them in a bag.  

After several more tents we finally reached the end of the first row. We had gotten soap, some oils for dipping bread, some seed mixture for baking or something like that, a hand crafted glass bowl and some nasty concoction of green powder supposedly to mix into smoothies. There was no way I'm drinking a seaweed and kale vitamin smoothie. The though alone almost killed my apatite. Almost. I still really wanted some fried dough and had spent the last half hour thinking about it and planning on how I was going to get it. Before we started on the second row I stepped up right next to my mother and grabbed her arm gently.  

" Mom, I have to find a bathroom." I flashed a half smile. She stopped walking and looked rather annoyed. She sighed and rolled her eyes.  

"Alex, go with her please. I don't want her wandering around alone, especially not in that sort of dress." It took everything I had to keep my moth shut. Without looking at her I turned and walked away from the tents I the direction of the tall Farris wheel. Had she seriously just said that! First of all my dress came down to my knees, second of all I was wearing a jacket over it because it was strapless, and it wasn't low cut or tight, revealing or provocative in any way whatsoever!