Part 9

I stood on the balcony, my elbows pressed against the railing as I watched the sun descend behind the mountain. Yellow, orange, and pink streaks lit up the quickly darkening sky. I breathed in deeply, trying to memorise the smell of the warm, clean evening air.

Suddenly, my phone -- clasped tightly between by fingers -- bleeped. I nearly dropped it down to the ground out of shock. I swore under my breath. Frantically withdrawing my arms from the railing, I examined my phone. The screen announced a text from an unknown number.

Confused, I pressed Read. I stared at the screen, reading and rereading the text: Hi, Leena. It's Jason. The "Welcome to Java Lava!" Jason.

Grinning from ear to ear, I pressed Reply and typed a response carefully, checking for any embarrassing typos: Hi, Jason! I hope you didn't get in trouble at work today.

I pressed Send. With a few taps, Jason's phone number was successfully stored as a contact.

After leaving Java Lava, I had spent the rest of the day worrying that Jason would get in trouble for sitting with me in the café where he worked.

I sank to the cool tiled floor, jiggling my knees as I waited for a response.

Jason's reply arrived a few seconds later: No. Best shift ever. :)

I was grinning at the screen stupidly when it lit up with a call, the loud, frantic ringtone mirroring my heartbeat.

Jason is calling me!

My finger hovered over the Accept button. I pictured his gorgeous eyes, one hazel and the other grey, focused on his phone as he waited for me to answer his call. Hoping not to embarrass myself, I pressed the green button.

"Hello?" Jason called out, his deep voice trickling into my ears like honey.

"Hi," I answered.

"Hey," he said. "I wanted to ask you . . ."

"Yes?"

"Would you like to go out tomorrow? My shift ends at three --"

"Yes!" I gushed before he could finish his sentence.

"Great!" Jason laughed, the musical sound making me shiver. "How much of LA have you seen?"

"Not much, really," I admitted.

"Well, I have some really cool places to show you," he said with contagious excitement. "Can we meet at the café after three tomorrow?"

"Yes! Where are we going?" I asked, pressing the phone closer to my ear.

I could almost hear the mischievous smile in his voice when he said, "It's a surprise. I thought we could have a late lunch, too. Is that okay?"

"Sure," I agreed.

"So, see you tomorrow?"

"See you!"

After exchanging goodbyes, we hung up.

A squeal escaped my lips as I walked into the bedroom and threw myself onto the bed. Something hard and rectangular poked me in the thighs. Shifting around, I found that it was the romance novel that I had purchased from Athena's Used Books. Flipping onto my back, I attempted to read, but the words on the page swam and blurred out of focus as the curiosity consumed me.

Where is Jason taking me tomorrow? Griffith Park? The Hollywood Walk of Fame? The legendary Hollywood Sign?

I sighed, unable to focus on the book. I abandoned the paperback and gazed at the ceiling. I was lost in thought when I heard Claire calling my name from downstairs.