Part 45

My grey suitcase landed with a soft thunk as I hefted it onto the neatly made bed. I folded my clothes into the case with unnecessary care, forcing myself to focus on the fabric alone. I couldn't allow my thoughts to wander during the mindless task. They would only lead to Jason, and I didn't trust myself to think of him without breaking down.

Preoccupied with my deliberate movements, I hardly noticed the sun sinking, succumbing to the stars of the night.

Having run out of clothes to pack, I went to the walk-in closet. Pushing aside the outfit I had laid out for the flight the next day, I rummaged through the drawers blindly. My heart dropped to my stomach when I pulled a folded paper bag into view. Written in a bold, black print was my name.

"A pretty name for a pretty girl."

Powerless against my own mind, I sank to the carpeted floor as the bag triggered every single memory I had of Jason.

Every word, every laugh, every smile, every touch, every kiss.

Every time he told me he loved me, and I lied that I didn't.

Every bit of pain and heartbreak in his remarkable eyes, and every second of knowing that I was the cause.

A violent cough ripped through my lungs as I wept uncontrollably. The backs of my hands came away with streaks of eyeliner when I wiped my damp eyes. Suddenly, the bedroom door was thrown wide open. 

Claire rushed in, dressed in shimmery silk pyjamas. A black sleep mask rested haphazardly on her forehead.

"Leena," she gasped as she scanned the empty bed and balcony before spotting my crumpled form inside the closet. "Darling, what's wrong?"

The tears in my eyes blurred my vision as I tried to stand. Claire rushed to my side, throwing her arm over my shoulder and guiding me towards the bed.

"I heard you coughing all the way downstairs," she cried, her tousled hair held back in a loose bun. "I thought you were choking!"

"I'm fine," I managed, shoving my suitcase aside to make room for Claire.

"Leena, you don't look fine at all," she chided, patting my back to ease my cough. Her voice shook with concern when she demanded, "Tell me what's wrong!"

"It's all my fault," I surrendered, no longer willing to lie about Jason. "I shouldn't have asked to see Jason yesterday."

Perplexed, Claire asked, "Why, what happened?"

Fresh tears spilt over my eyes, trailing down my cheeks and onto my t-shirt.

"Lee," she said, calling my attention to her emerald eyes. "What happened? You said you and Jason figured everything out."

"We, um," I faltered, struggling for words. "We broke up on Friday."

"What?" she asked, flummoxed.

"London is too far. We'll just drift apart," I trailed off. "We're better off this way."

Claire's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Do both of you feel this way?"

"Not really, no," I answered, looking away from her. "But I convinced Jason, sort of."

"Why do you think you can't work things out, Leena?" Claire asked as though she were testing me on a question she already knew the answer to.

"I don't think that. I know that." I sighed, unwilling to divulge the truth about Chris. "But it's just . . . I missed him so much yesterday. I just wanted to see him, but he thought I'd changed my mind."