December 4, 2015

6:24 am

"How did I know you were going to be here?"

"You've been following me around, obviously." Alice rolled her eyes at my as I ran up to her. She tried to walk past me but I had moved ahead of her. She pursed her lips, her red lipstick almost matched the color of her iPhone case, "Michael, I don't have time for this."

"Oh, c'mon." I groaned, "Don't go back to hating me, we were having a pretty good time last time."

That wasn't a total lie, however.

She ignores me completely and a huff escapes her lisp when she sees me stand before her. Her brown eyes met mine with an intensity as she pulled down on her sleeves.

I gave her a small smile, "At least let me give you a ride."

"Will you leave me alone after?"

"Fuck it, I don't want to give you a ride, anyway." I mumbled, but, seeing her shrug and turn around, I quickly grumbled a 'just kidding' and walked her to my bike.

Once she saw it, she was curled over, laughing.

Once she saw my unamused face, she just shook her head and hid her smile. "I'm sorry, but it is such a typical thing for you to have a motorcycle."

"Just get on, Alicia."

She pushed me forward, "Don't call me that, Michelangelo."

"Don't fucking call me that." I grumbled before watching her sit behind me. Her arms draped at my waist and I started the motorcycle.

We zipped through the interstate, leaving the department where she was taking her certification exam five-hundred miles behind. She would gasped occasionally when I would pass a vehicle too close or when someone beeped me for my reckless driving.

We arrived at the outskirts of Louisana; Jay's Diner was still open for the herd of Truckers that would be coming for the morning coffee. It was almost vacant, yet the sound of the nearest city horns could've been heard.

I turned to Alice, who was already off of the motorcycle and leaning against the pole facing us. "You don't mind if we stopped here?" I asked, almost cursing at myself for sounding like such a sob.

"I don't, it's actually quiet here."

"Yeah," I agreed, "I'm not really a big fan of Mardi Gras, so I usually drive around here until it's over."

"You don't like Mardi Gras?" Her voice pitched slightly, a bewildered expression remained on her face. "It's like New Years for us."

"I'm just not used to the noise," I tried to take up for myself, "Plus, how can you all be happy all of the time?"

"You're something else, Michael."

"I know."

We remained in silence, until she stood up and reached her hand over to me. I took her hand, and followed her until we reached one of the booths at the diner.

Before long, a chirpy waitress squealed her lines and I grimaced. How can someone be so excited at seven in the morning? Alice and I mumbled our orders: She offered a smoothie, while I ordered a black coffee—which Alice didn't miss the opportunity to tease me on my choice, by the way— and the girl was off.

Casually banter came with the presence of the truck drivers, which I was thankful for because if they weren't there, the silence between Alice and I would be unbearable. The was dimly lit; The owner of the diner was some ecology fanatic who always has preferred to use natural lighting. To be honest, I think the mate's just too cheap to buy actual lights in his diner.

Alice stared at the window across from us, most likely lost in her thoughts. I took that time to take a quick glance at her.

I noticed how her eyes were almost always shining, regardless of how drained she actually was. She had a slight cold, so occasionally, she would sniff. I'll admit, half of the times that she did sniff, I'd taken a double-take, just to make sure she wasn't crying or anything.

"Do you want to go home?" I asked, "We can probably make it by eight, before these guys hog the road."

"Can I sit next to you?"

"What? Like, you mean, here here? Like next to me, here?" And, by the time I was done rambling, the space next to me was filled, and her body laid on my shoulder.

My chest thumped against my leather jacket and no matter how many times I tried to keep my composure, I didn't move because she was comfortable.

After a while, her breathing became steady, and she was asleep. I figured it was because she was up at such an inhumane hour in the morning just for an exam. I can thank God that I dropped out long ago.

I leaned against the wall, and readjusted Alice; It felt like she was caving into the leather seat behind us, rather than laying on me. I slugged my arm around her back, as she fidgeted a bit.

"I still think you're an ass." I heard her mumble and although I told her that the feeling was mutual, I couldn't help but smile.

• — • —

(Author's note)
I needed a little cute moment between them and I didn't want to merge two chapters
I love you all tbh.