December 17, 2015

Red

By now, Alice and Michael hadn't been able to see each other for over a week. Mainly because Michael finally got that mechanic job he's been bugging Joe for.

He was desperately in need for a job; the high school dropout title was probably cool until he turned twenty-one. Now, it was just something people figured out about him by just looking at him.

He scratched at jumpsuit, which was a size bigger for him and had the name 'Eddy' attached to it at the breast, then ruffled his hair as he waited for his first customer of the day.

Overall, Joe's Place was too quiet, but he didn't mind. He really needed this job. Joe, whose actual name was Robert or something, was a man barely touching his sixties with really dark features but light silver hair. He didn't say much to Michael, except when the metal guitar riffs of Korn began to blare in the old man's eardrums.

Some days, like today, Joe's granddaughter would come visit him and bring him his usual soup and crackers along with the green pill that Joe despised but ultimately helped with his coughing fits (which alarms Michael every time, he thought he was dying at first). Michael especially didn't mind that, his granddaughter was smoking hot. Michael liked the fact that her blonde hair reached to her ass, but we won't discuss why his eyes were trained on that specific spot.

The junkyard kept his mind from trailing back to Alice, when Alice probably forgot about Michael the moment she stepped away from his motorcycle.

That was until Wendy brought him up, of course.

"What about him?"

"Do you like him?"

"Why would I do that?" Alice asked, for her own defense. Wendy just shrugged, "He's attractive." Wendy paused for a second, before she smirked, "Plus, he looks like he can do some damage, if you know what I mean."

"God, I'd rather live without that thought." Alice grimaced as her friend continued to laugh at her observation.

"So would I," Calum complained, as he tried to cover his face with the pillow. "That's my best friend!"

"Does your best friend have a significant other?" Wendy asked, wiggling her eyebrows wildly at Calum. He just shook his head, "No, but there was this one girl at the junkyard that he's pretty interested in."

"So, there's a possibility he's doing her right now?"

"No matter how many times Michael tries to criticize me," Calum says, his index finger prominent in thin air, "He has had just as many girls under him as I. He's just more secretive about it."

•••

By the time Alice felt like her dormitory was closing in on her, Wendy was probably at some party, drinking away her stress for her finals. Alice decided to go grocery shopping, seeing that if she didn't do it, their cabinets would continue to be empty.

For once, she didn't see Michael out by the entrance sign. She shrugged, then continued her way to the store.

In Louisana, there was only one supermarket that Alice liked to shop at. The other ones seem to sell her bullshit products and Alice was extremely picky when it came to food. Her mother was a chef, who would usually grimace by the sight of half-assed produce.

The sigh of relief that washed over Alice once she saw President Supermarket was still open scared away the pigeons that were feeding a few feet from her. She passed a small chuckle, before reaching for one of the silver shopping carts.

She spent a total of four hours shopping; She had bought everything that appealed to her tastebuds, then once she was close to the register, she realized that she wasn't living alone and she had to turn the cart over and buy the opposite of what she liked for Wendy.

On her way back, and when the shopping bags were weighing her down, she was ecstatic to see her friend by the LSU sign for once.

Michael had rolled his eyes once he saw Alice with a bundle of grocery bags and a pouty face. "Dearest Michael, would you mind?" She cheesed as she handed him the bag, ignoring his debate completely.

Once eleven o'clock struck, Michael was at Alice's dorm room. He wasn't enrolled into LSU, but he practically knew every back-way.

He was only there to help her bring in her groceries, which he wasn't actually too pleased to do. She chuckled when she heard him groan loudly when he had to stretch his hand an inch forward to place the cereal boxes on the top of the refrigerator. Michael was incredibly lazy for someone of his age.

"You changed your hair?" Which was more of a statement than a question, but her voice almost pitched every time she was interested.

"Yeah, I thought I'll give this color a chance." He replied, a sly hand running through his hair.

Alice's hand stood out, to mimic his action. His eyes, with the dim kitchen, were almost mixed with a grey excitement. Even in the poorly lit room, his eyes sparked for once when they were aligned with hers. Her hand laid on his head, feeling his hair in between her finger and his chest near hers.

His eyes flicked to her lips, as he parted his own. She noticed, once he leaned in a bit; and even when her heart thumped for a second, she cleared her throat and stepped away.

Michael turned away from Alice and stood by the bar while Alice tried to find something to keep her from bouncing on Michael's lap. She knew that if the kiss happened, it wasn't just going to stop there.

Sure, they weren't attracted to each other, but sex was sex.

"Calum told me he stopped by here," Michael tried to start conversation, which was also new. "I figured he said something about Jocelyn?"

"Jocelyn?" Alice asked, keeping her eyes locked on the plate that she had been scrubbing for four minutes now.

"She's the granddaughter of my boss," Michael nodded, a sigh released from his lips. "He's like stuck on the fact that I told him about her, but she's nothing."

"You're telling me this because?"

"I figured we were friends," Michael mumbled, "...or acquaintances, or whatever you want to call us." He shrugged, "I figured these are the things friends tell each other."

"Jocelyn's not your friend?"

"She's barely my friend."

And at that point, the petite dorm room was silent.

Michael leaned against the marble counter staring into oblivion, mostly thinking about how the hell he was going to get home. Alice washed the dishes subconsciously, before she realized everything was red.

Michael's hair was red, and so were the crisps leaves outside. The hand print on Alice's thigh were a faint red, and so were the stools that faced the kitchen. Michael's flushed face was red, and so were the love marks that seemed to have a trail down his neck.

(Author's note)
I'm seriously trying to make these chapter a bit more interested and yes, Michael and Alice are partial whores, it's fine.

I'm happy you're alive.