8 (Phil)

"You know what I mean!"

"Dan!"

I storm into the kitchen after him.

"Get out!"

"Dan!"

"What, Phil? What the heck do you need this time?"

I'm almost hurt, but I'm too angry to account for it. "Dan, you need to calm down."

"You don't understand... Phil. You don't understand," his voice become lower and calmer, thicker with emotion. He turns away from me, his back hunched as he faces the back wall.

I understand more than you think, if you would ever give me a chance, I think as I gaze into his brown eyes.

"Phil... I just don't know what to do. I want to do this acting thing, but..." he sighs, sliding down to the floor. He puts his head in his hands. "God, I just don't know what to do." I feel my heart leap out to him.

His shoulders start shaking, and I immediately go down with him. "You could take a year off."

He lifts his head, his eyes swollen. "What?"

"A year off. You could take a year off of college, earn some money in the meantime, and then jump back in when you're ready. College doesn't have to be a snap decision."

He looks at me, his gaze full of wonder. "Can you really do that?"

I smile and brush his cheek with a kiss. "Would I lie to you?"

---

"Phil..."

I'm awake.

"Phil...!"

I'm... I'm awake.

My head feels... heavy. I'm awake, I know, but I can't move. My eyelids are heavy and I can't open them. My arms are pumped with lead and I can't lift them.

"Phil..."

I am awake.

I start to discern voices from one another. I can make out Tyler and Louise. I can't think of anything else.

God, my head hurts so much.

"He... stress?" An unknown voice.

"He... weird... party... call." Tyler.

"And you... hear anyth... else?" The same voice.

"No... showed up."

I feel rubbered hands on my arms and neck. I try to lift my arm again, but I only succeed in a slight jerk.

"...awake. Phil? Phil... me?"

I suddenly feel breath on the right side of my face. Tyler's worried tone rings through my ears. "Phil, are you okay?"

No Tyler, I think I'm dead. What am I to live without Dan?

I feel strength start to slowly ebb into my system. I am able to open my eyes, but the room is blinding white. I shut my eyes immediately.

"He's awake," says a new voice. "All you alright, young man?"

I mumble something, surprised that I found the strength to utter the word: "Bright."

"Go close the curtains, Troye," Tyler harshly commands. Soft padding footsteps to the right, and the bright orange light behind my eyelids dims to a crimson.