Bad Moon Rising

It's the start of September which means a new school year at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's not my favourite place to be but it's better then staying at the Renifall Residents, they're my mums old friends and when she died they took me in. They are nice and warm people but too basic and normal but I've got to be thankful for all they have given me.

The excitement and astonishment is leaking from all of the first years and even some of the olders. I push through the crowds and make my way towards the carriages.

Most people can't see what pulls the carriages, because only people who have seen death have the pleasure of seeing thestral, but luckily I can.

I manage to obtain an empty carriage, which is very rare. The ride to Hogwarts is fairly quick but gives me enough time to enjoy the silence. I'm hardly alone anymore. Kate and Pete never leave me alone this time of year.

My mother died on August 24th, and that's my life, both happy and sad and still trying to figure out how that can be. My father left me and my mother when I was a child, he didn't die he just simply didn't want me. I have no idea who he is and have no interest in finding out.

Pulling out the silver packet from my pocket, I take a cigarette and use a small charm to light it. I started this deadly routine three years ago in third year, not because I thought it was cool or made me look that way but because of the simple fact that it was deadly.

I never really smoked for fun but for the satisfaction of feeling your throat clog up and beg for release. It sound much more complex then draw and blow but that's just how my mind is; complex.

The light bursting into the deep blinded night signals that we had arrived at Hogwarts. I jump out the cart and pat the thestrals lightly on the head before continuing on the path to the famous castle.

It hasn't changed. The golden atmosphere of magical making still surrounds me like the plague. I hate it. All the hope and optimism this school provides just for half of these students to go on in life so that when someone mutters there name it doesn't even earn an echo.

The truth is, jut because your a wizard, it doesn't mean your going to be successful. Personally, I want to be a name that everyone will remember and that will go down in history.

I slowly drag behind the crowd of swarming students who are eager to enter the Main hall. The one mind melting thing about the start of school is the choosing ceremony.

It's degrading and superficial to label these kids into important, important but evil, clever but no one cares and then literally no one cares.

The hall is decorated in it's usual four rows of brown wood tables lined with; green and silver, blue and bronze, scarlet and gold then yellow and black. Candles hover in the air, dipping lower every once in a while and the walls are gold with millions of stories running across them.

I make my way to the ancient oak table dipped in vibrant scarlet and gold lining. Yes, I'm a Gryffindor, the house known for favouritism and bravery. Immediately, I spot the bundle of brown curls and make my way over to them.

"Kenna!" The pale boy perks up as I get comfortable next to him. This is Theodore Hatney, better known as Teddy. He's basically a bunch of brown uncontrollable curls full of bright smiles and soft craziness, he should have been in Hufflepuff but begged the sorting hat to give him a chance.

We've been mates ever since he backed me up when I was caught in the restricted area of the library and I knew we would be fast friends.

He's soft and follows me around like an extra tall and lanky shadow but I love him nonetheless. Teddy is my only friend, I have people who like the idea of being friends with me because I make them look cool but Teddy loves me because I'm me.

It took me time to warm up to him, as I never really like to let people in, that's the thing about me, crowds don't make me happy, alone I don't feel right.

"Good summer, Ken?" Teddy throws a sweaty arm around my small shoulders. "Had the time of my life," I mutter. Teddy is about to continue, probably about my mother, but is interrupted as the Headmaster, Armando Dippet voice bellows through the immediately silent hall. "Welcome students to another grand year at Hogwarts school of..."

"Danger and Decay," Teddy mimics the old mans voice. I roll my eyes at his attempt to be funny but give a small laugh to make him feel better.

Teddy can be overly sensitive sometimes because he's always trying to live up to me but I've tried to convince him many times he doesn't have to live up to me. Why would anyone?

"Now the ceremony may begin." And with that names from Amy to Zack are getting called out one by one. I try to tune out the names but it's quiet hard when the table erupts into applaud every twenty seconds.

"Cheer up, Ken." Teddy softly nudges me on the shoulder. I reassure him that I'm okay with a small smile which he eagerly returns back. My eyes wonder to the Slytherin table as a black haired girl skips over there with the pride of a lion. Or should I say a snake.

The main attraction at the Slytherin table isn't the house itself, it's the boy surrounded by nail biting gits. Tom Riddle.

Nothing past the word perfect that boy is, poor but brilliant, parentless but so brave, school prefect, model student. I've never understood what's so epic about him except that he's good at magic but maybe it's because he's so secluded. Just like me.

My eyes rest on his pale face which is directed towards the front of the hall but he looks as dull as I feel. He is handsome, you'd be stupid to think he wasn't, however, his personality revolts me. Toms eyes travel from the front table to the plate in front of him then to the eyes stalking him; my eyes.

When they lock, I don't dare look away even if his stare is so deep and disturbing, like he's searching me with his eyes, which he could easily be doing.

His features don't twitch, he remained expressionless as he stares back at him. Slowly, a cold sensation spread through my body but I brush it off.

"Now please students, enjoy the feast!" Dippet's voice causes me to snap out of the little game and look around at the colourful food that has grown across the tables, it never fails to be mouth watering.

My eyes move back to Riddle but he has turned to talk to Malfoy, one of his many followers, however, I swear I see a small victory smile lingering on his lips.

"I'm starving!" Teddy mumbles with a mouth full of potatoes. I laugh at how disgusting it looks and start piling up my plate. Halfway through the meal and Teddy's talk about his summer, a piece of parchment floats towards me and rests neatly on the table.

I look around the Gryffindor table to see if anyone noticed but they are too busy eating to care, including Teddy who is making sure he gets enough chicken.

Dear Kenna Karamakov,

Please meet me in my office immediately after dinner.

We have important matters to discuss.

Sincerely,

Albus P. W. B. Dumbledore.

I quickly tuck the parchment into my pocket before anyone sees and continue with my plate. Except someone did see. A pair of crystal blue were watching me.

---

What do you think?
This is my first FanFiction and honestly I have no idea where I'm going with it.

The plot won't be completely identical to the book but I'll try to make it as similar as possible. Some characters in Riddle's gang won't be the same as in the book but they will still have the same family backgrounds.

Hope you enjoyed!