You Give Love A Bad Name

I ignore several letters, stares across the great hall and walk the other way if I see him in the hallway. The question 'why are you ignoring him' has risen too many times then I care to admit but I bury it by keeping myself busy.

I don't think I've ever been so deep in school work before, and frankly, I never thought the days would come. But they did. They came fast and hard and I realised that I probably could have used them six other years I've been here. It also washes away the fact I'm back to being Kenna. Messed up Kenna who pretends for everyone around her that she's happy. Everyone but herself.

And I hate Tom for it. I hate him for making me like this again, I hate him for not making me able to look at Teddy because I'm forced to be someone I'm not around him, I hate that I don't feel warmth when I wake up in the morning. I hate him for ever looking at me. I hate that I want him to notice me. And I hate even more that I wish he never did.

Teddy seemed to mask in the glory of me being nowhere near Tom. It makes me sick that he can be so happy about something that makes me so sad. Of course, he'd never of noticed. Hanna doesn't dare talk about it. I think she's scared that if she utters his name that I'll hex her into oblivion, which I most likely will.

Sleep isn't just sleep anymore. It's an escape, the only one that lasts. I spend nights curled up in the Room of Hidden Things, unable to sleep, but that doesn't stop my mind.

And here I lay; curled up in a tight ball on the soft red chair staring as the flames dance. The Room of Hidden Things hasn't changed; it's still plain and boring with two chairs opposite each other and a fire carelessly burning. I'm not sure what the other chair is still there. Maybe I wanted someone there, not Tom, just someone.

Then, the strangest thing happened. The rust handle of the oak door clicked open and a tall figure stalked into the room, wearing a smirk of satisfaction. I couldn't do anything for a while- a long while apparently - because by time a single word even graced my mind the boy had sat down in the chair opposite me. "How-"

"It shows a person what they want; I wanted to see you," Tom explains with a unreadable expression. "Why?" I ask with the same flat tone. My question seems to enrage Tom, which surprises me immensely. "Why! Why do you think, Kenna? It's been a good few days and not one single world. You're ignoring me. I want to know why."

"You don't deserve to know why," I snap coldly but let my body express itself casually. Tom looks startled for half a heartbeat but quickly lets his face fall blank. "I see," is all he says and then he laces his long fingers together and droops back against the seat. I see? I see what, exactly? Is he just going to give up? No, no Tom doesn't give up. He's honest with me. Well, at least he was.

"I was thinking," I start and I am suddenly unable to stop my body from working without my mind. "About why we never lie to each other. It was a unspoken agreement, that we both followed with no questions, and I was asking myself why. Why trust someone so blatantly untrustworthy? Why get so close to someone who didn't see the world as you did? But you do see the world as I do Tom; worthless. And maybe that's why I wanted it so much."

"I play with the fire of my own truth, I will burn for the things I love, but that doesn't mean I won't fear it. Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of it's constant hunger for whatever it is it want. The way it stops and starts. But we are our choices and I've accepted, that even though you don't understand the feeling, that nothing will ever come close to making me feel the way you do."

Tom doesn't speak. For a very long time. His face doesn't show any sign of expression, he just stares blankly into the fire. I soon got the hint and stood up to walk towards the door. "I am simply thankful for your existence," I say with my back turned, "and I'll be content with being part of it or not." But just as I touched the handle I heard him stand and say, "I'm too selfish to let you leave."

I heard him stride towards me, even the way his steps sounding against the wood told me he didn't know what he was doing. "You talk too much, you know that, right?" I turn and see him. The only light is from the fire, so I can't really see him, but at the same time I can see him too clearly.

"I think about you a lot more then I should," he lifts my chin up with a single finger, "but I'm guessing you know what that feels like." He smiles brightly, and it's odd. Rare. "You truly are a bastard Tom Ri-"

"Yes, yes." And then he's kissing me. His lips were soft and warm but still forceful. Just like him. He wrapped an arm safely around the small of my back and pull me closer so that the space between us no longer existed. I could only feel Tom; I could feel his hand curl in my hair, or my arm snake round his neck. I could only feel him. His lips so perfect and the way his body curved to fit into mine.

He broke away first and said the thing every girl wanted to hear after a kiss. "How do you feel about going hunting for heirlooms to use as Horcrux's with me?" And I agreed. And when I did, it hit me. What I heard him talking to Antonio about, he thinks I have the locket and he knew my father was alive yet didn't tell me. And I beg my mind to let it matter, but at the time it didn't.

Tom said that he would tell me more later and that I should probably go bed. Imagine that, having a makeout session with a cold blooded murderer with a charming smirk who decides when your bedtime is. Aren't I a lucky girl?

I agreed nonetheless and was surprised when he tilted my chin up with his middle finger and kissed me lightly, leaving me feeling giddy. I then decided I hate giddy. Reaching for the handle I thought that I might as well say what we were both thinking. "We always lie to each other."

And then I left the room but not before I heard Tom whisper, "I know."

----

They kissed! I loved writing it and loved putting what I feel that Kenna would feel into the chapter.
  Maybe It's all moving to fast but don't worry - there will be trouble in paradise. That is the best bit, after all.
I also love the song You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi. It's one of my favourites which Is why I chose it as the title.
I heavily debated using cotton eye joe for the title since its my guilty pleasure but decided otherwise since it made no sense.
Maybe you have noticed or maybe not but all my titles are old songs that are mostly introduced to me by my grandad or that I have never heard in my life.
The song Bad Moon Rising by John Frogtery and Pony Express by Johnny Johnson being toured into my mind every time I visit him.
If you have the time, try listening to one. They make no sense but hey ho.