Ninety And Nine

"You feeling okay? Got a fever? Had a mental breakdown? Or just gone plain mental?!"

"Shut up, Teddy." I waft Teddy's sweaty hand off my forehead and walk into Slughorns lesson. "You never come potions!" Teddy whispers loudly as we take seats at the back of the room.

"I wasn't in the mood to be alone." It wasn't a lie. I woke up this morning in a darker mood then usual as if the world was pissed at me so I thought that if I wasn't alone it would be easier. Teddy seems to notice this and lays his still sweaty hand on my small feminine ones. I love how soft and squeezable Teddy is.

Teddy grumbles something that sound like a "great" with a disgusted look on his face. My eyes shift to the door and I notice why; Riddle and his gang of imbeciles. Tom's eyes capture mine before he has time to breathe in the intoxicated air and, as if on cue, the smirk grows on his little rich face.

"Come on, Ken, smile." Teddy laughs when he drags the e for much longer then needed. This causes me to laugh which earns him a peck in the cheek which causes Teddy to blush like a girl and makes me laugh even more.

Slughorn still hasn't mastered the ability to do the check within less then 20 minutes, he made sure to make a big deal about how I'm in class and blah blah blah. When he finished, Slughorn explained that we were making a befuddlement draught in partners so typically Teddy latched onto me.

"No, no, no, Mr Hatney, remember you were with Anna last lesson and made a excellent ageing potion! Don't worry I'll sort Miss Kenna here with..." Slughorn hops up on down on the spot as if everything is awfully giddy. His eager eyes scan across the room at least three times before he settles on a sour face. If he even dares...

"Ah yes! Riddle! Come come." Slughorn beams enthusiastically. Oh, why does this feel like such a irresistible choreography. Tom swiftly looks up from his seat and looks between the two of us. The smirk grows ever so slowly on his face as he pushes up and strides over. "Professor?" Tom's voice is the same tone he used when addressing Dumbledore, innocent and charming, except now it looks like Slughorn is falling for it.

"Tom, please come partner with Kenna, she could use the help," the professor rushes before bouncing off to annoy another unfortunate student, hopefully a Slytherin. I turn back to face Tom who has moved from the desk and gone to the back tables covered with a cauldron and ingredients.

"Scurvy, grass, Lovage, Sneezewort. Stir clockwise once." I mutter quickly while scanning the book. "I see I haven't missed much." I add but only to myself, however Tom just happens to hear me and has to comment.

"Don't get over your head, Karamakov, your not even a mile close to clever." He scoffs, coldly. I throw him a look but decide not to feed his ego by fighting back, instead I continue reading. However, the words keep flipping backwards and I can't concentrate with them eyes watching me. "Something interesting?" I repeat my words from the night before but in a shaper tone.

"Not really, rather dull actually." Tom plays along by repeating the words he spoke with a long smirk. Rolling my eyes, I turn back to the book but don't really try to read. "It won't work. I've trained myself so stop trying." My words are directed at Tom but I'm still looking at the ancient book.

Legilimency is the act of magically navigating through the many layers of a person's mind, basically it's mind-reading for the blokes with magic. The opposite of Legilimency is Occlumency, which may be used to shield one's mind from the invasion and influence of a Legilimens. I learnt Occlumency in the middle of fifth year because I liked the idea of keeping something that nobody, no matter how hard they tried, could have. My mind was the first thing I ever called mine.

"Interesting." I barely hear him say. My eyes quickly flash in his direction to see if he's still looking but his attention is on the cauldron. I feel an odd pit in my stomach when I realise he stopped trying, however, I also feel something that he just believed me.

"We are going to have to communicate, even if we are both to stubborn to talk first." Tom finally speaks up after 10 minutes of bleak silence. "Tom Riddle admitting he's stubborn!" I exaggerated in a high voice. "Has hell already froze over?"

Tom rolls his eyes and a flash of regret washes over them but disappears as fast as it appears. "At least I'm not so childish that I can't admit it." He bit back while still wearing his grand smirk. "Childish." I repeat with a scoff mixed with a laugh.

"Yes. Childish." Tom repeats in a snappy tone. I'm clever enough to know that he only said it to get the last word. And I'm childish.

After another 20 minutes of snarky remarks and plenty of stirring, the potion is finally finished and Slughorn has been turning his nose down for a good 10 minutes. Teddy gives me a quick sympathy smile when Slughorn walks towards him and Anna.

I lock my skinny fingers behind my back and hear Tom scoff. Git. "Good. Very good. 10 points to Gryffindor!" Slughorn beams and the Gryffindor's erupt into a small applaud while the Slytherins turn there noses up. Avery and Lestrange make a big deal of booing which causes Teddy's smile to faultier.

"Idoits," Tom scoffs but his face tells he didn't mean to declare it out loud, luckily no one heard him. I find myself smiling at the fact that he isn't taunting Teddy but quickly waft it away. Just my luck, Avery and Lestrange are next.

Slughorn skips over to them, his face gleaming with high hopes for his Slytherin gang of gits. He hmm's and aww's a couple of times before coming to a overly awaited decision. "Perfect absolute-" but before he can finish I cover my mouth with my right hand and whisper a simple charm. "Incendio."

Suddenly, furious flames of deadly colours erupt from the stone cold cauldron causing to it burst up into Avery's and Lestrange's faces, leaving thick black chalk stains across their surprised expression.

I have to dig my teeth deep into my tongue to stop from breaking the eternal silence that lingers in the room, however, Teddy already beat me too it. Once Teddy starts the cute little laugh, all of the Gryffindor's burst out laughing, even a few Slytherins crack a smile. Slughorn is chanting a water charm on the fire to put it down while both boys stand there looking dumbstruck.

"Was that needed?" Tom's voice reminds me that he was standing next to me the whole time, meaning he saw me cast the spell. Oddly, his voice isn't violent or cold as usual, his tone is calm. A look to my left and I find him wearing "the" grin on his face expect this time it isn't taunting or smug, it's as if he's enjoying something.

"What can I say, I've got an appetite for destruction. See you tonight, Riddle." I then turn away from him and walk out of the dungeons leaving him with the smirk grown as wide as ever and me secretly returning the favour.