04 | Fidelem

Fidelem {Faithful, trustworthy}

The clattering of swords could be heard throughout the room as the girls practiced with blunted swords. Arya stood across her opponent, a girl with black wavy hair whose name she didn't know. Based on the blows they had exchange –rather the lack of exchange Arya could tell that she wasn't at ease holding her blade. This made it very easy for Arya to expose an opening as soon as she saw it.

"You're back is completely exposed." Arya said as she held the blade closely to her back.

It had been a quick fight but nevertheless exhausting as they were both panting heavily. Arya took this moment to glance around the room the see the progress of the other girls. It was at this moment that a distraction in the form of Lady Zelie appeared. She strode through the room and everyone quieted down in respect. There were an occasionally rattling of swords but it disappeared almost immediately when Madame Kenna gave them a sharp look.

"Lady Zelie," Madame Kenna said, "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?"

Lady Zelie nodded once to Madame Kenna in respect before speaking in her soft, commanding tone. "I was hoping to get a word with one of your students."

"Depends on who it is," Madame Kenna jokingly said.

Lady Zelie allowed a small smile to form her face highlighting her soft features. Arya knew that Zelie had only utmost respect for Madame Kenna and would oblige in whatever she told her to do. After all, it was Madame Kenna who trained Lady Zelie when she was younger. Zelie had told Arya countless number of times about how lucky they actually were to have her as a teacher in the Narvian academy. She might be old and a bit stern but she was one of the most respected swordswoman in the entire Kingdom.

Lady Zelie's gaze landed on Arya and she gave her a slight nod. This was all the indication Arya needed to know that she would not be returning to this class. She placed the sword back on the wall and made her way towards Lady Zelie.

Madame Kenna noticed the exchange with faint amusement. "Are you trying to rob me of one of my prized students?"

Lady Zelie going along with the light banter replied, "Of course not. I could not bear to do something so horrid to you."

It was refreshing to see this relationship between Madame Kenna and Lady Zelie. Arya herself knew how stressful it could be with constant spotlight. Zelie had duties to the Academy as well as well as the Kingdom which is why she would have to make multiple trips between the palace and  the academy.

Madame Kenna nodded satisfied with her answer. "Very well, you may take her if you must."

Lady Zelie looked at Arya and motioned towards the door. Before she left she could swear she heard her saying, "Yasmin do block you stomach. You don't want your internal organs ripped out, would you?"

Arya almost rolled her eyes and when she exited out of the room she couldn't help herself, "you could not resist yourself could you?"

Lady Zelie grinned. She seemed to be in a good mood. "I wouldn't be a good headmistress if I didn't help with the improvements of my student, would I?"

As they made their way up the stairs and entered Zelie's quarters her mood seemed to change slightly.

"Is everything all right?" Arya asked gruffly.

Zelie shook her head slightly and pointed towards her desk. There were maps, scrolls and parchments scattered everywhere. Arya approached the desk with caution and glanced over. The table was covered with a massive map of Kalvaria. There were markings with ink blotches across the parchment. Arya could identify some of the cities highlighted: Kathoria the capital, Dzfrah where the girls academy was, Evenna in the north near the Alpanch Mountains, Monique the most southern city bordering the country of Haxovola, and Caydeh near the Blackwood Forest. However, the one that had the most annotation was a city named Xuthviy. It was almost parallel to the Narvian Academy however located in the west.