Chapter 15: Back Together Again

Tetrick was getting worse.

I didn't dare say it out loud, but I could see that he was dying. He was so pale and fragile. None of the food I gave him stayed down. He hardly got any water in his system. There was nothing more I could do to help him! I know nothing about medicine. Why isn't Jessica here when we need her?

"Willow," Tetrick called out to me. Three days have passed since he got the cut. 

"Yeah?" I replied, putting my hand on top of his. I never leave the tree while he's sleeping. I'm too afraid of what I'm going to find when I get back. I don't like leaving the tree at all, but we need food. 

"Just making sure you're still here," He said.

"Where else would I be?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe you would be off with Talon and the rest of them. Maybe you decided that I'm a lost cause and that I'm not worth your time anymore."

"Shut up, Tetrick. I don't think that at all."

"You should be thinking that. You probably are, actually."

"I'm not thinking about leaving you," I replied.

"But you're thinking that I'm a lost cause. That I'm going to die up in this tree," He said glumly.

I put my hands on either side of his face. "Stop." Tears threatened my eyes. "You're not going to die. I will do anything to make sure that it doesn't happen. Maybe we should leave. The rest of them are around here somewhere and Jessica will know exactly what to do." 

He shook his head. "I can't."

"But I can't just give up on you. There has to be something I can do," I pleaded. The tears were spilling over now, running slowly down my cheeks. 

"There is," He replied.

A moment of silence passed between us before I understood what he meant. Before, I didn't like the idea. That was only two days ago, but I guess things have changed. At the time, I thought for sure that Tetrick was going to get through this. Now I don't really know. Plus, it's starting to feel right. Like maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

I leaned forward and kissed Tetrick. It was nothing more than a peck, at first. But then I stayed there and he stayed there and suddenly we had our arms around each other and we were locked in a passionate kiss. I'm not sure how long we were sitting there before I noticed something landing on my leg. I turned my head and saw a silver bottle, connected to a parachute. There was also a small piece of paper connected. On the bottle, it said medicine. 

"Tetrick!" I yelled out in joy. I picked up the canister and opened it. On the inside, there's some sort of orange liquid. "Sponsors... Thank goodness." I handed him the medicine. "Drink it."

He raised his eyebrows. "All of it?" 

"All of it."

He put the bottle to his lips and started to drink. I saw his face twist in disgust. He chugged all of it in one drink.

"That was disgusting." He said. 

"But it'll work. It has to," I replied, completely believing it. Tetrick's going to get better.

"What does the note say?" He asked.

I unfolded the note and read what it had to say. 

                                                             That's all they ever wanted from you.

                                                                                  -K, P & H

"Did we just unintentionally become the new star-crossed lovers?" I asked.