Chapter 23: The Chasm

Author's Note: I know that some of the things I'm going to mention in this upcoming chapter are wrong due to the events in Mockingjay. Please keep in mind that in my story, Mockingjay never happened. There was no rebellion and therefor Finnick didn't display some of the secrets he has. 

Also, this is dedicated to Lysseal for helping me with this chapter and for being a supportive fan! 

Finnick's POV:

Katniss and I sat together, side by side, in President's Snow office. My knee is bouncing up and down impatiently. We've been sitting in this office for three hours, waiting for President Snow to come and speak to us. It's been two and a half months since Katniss and I sneaked into the Hunger Games headquarters and found the clips. We found out that Luke killed Atos to get the position of Head Gamemaker and that he rigged the games. 

"Katniss, maybe we should just go," I suggested. 

"No!" She yelled. "I've been waiting way too long for him to speak to me. I can't let the opportunity slip by."

I sighed. Katniss has been obsessing over the clips. I understand why, since Luke purposely put her son into the games, but it's been an unhealthy obsession. She's been trying to contact President Snow daily. When he finally answered, she begged to have a sit-down with him so they can talk. He agreed, but now we've been waiting here for hours. 

Finally, the door to President Snow's office opened up. President Snow walked out, a smile on his face. 

Instantly, a chill ran up my spine. I hate President Snow. After I won the Hunger Games, he sold me into prostitution. That's something I've kept secret for years. Only Annie knows about it. It's been over for 25 years, but I remember those ten years of prostitution very vividly. I also know that President Snow poisons his allies out of paranoia. But to avoid suspicion, he takes the poison too. Despite the antidotes he takes, the poison still gives him sores on the inside of his mouth. That's why he always smells like blood and roses. 

I really don't want to be here. But I am. For Katniss. She needs to speak to Snow and expose Luke. If there's anyone I hate more in the world than Snow, it's Luke. President Snow does some awful things. But what Luke does... It's unspeakable. Even President Snow will shy away from Luke when he hears the clips. 

"Aw... Katniss, Finnick, how nice to see you! You guys must still be in touch! How nice to keep your friendship up after all of these years!" President Snow stepped to the side, opening up the doorway. "Please, come inside." 

Katniss got up and walked into the office. I know she hates President Snow, too, but she sure didn't seem like it. She walked into that office with such confidence. I wish I could do the same. Slowly, I stood up and walked into the office. I avoided looking at President Snow. As I walked by him, the smell of roses and blood came to my nose. I bit my tongue to keep my insults back. 

President Snow closed the door behind him and walked over to his desk. He sat down on one side. On the other side, there were two chairs. President Snow motioned for us to sit down. Katniss took the chair on the left. I took the chair on the right. I kept my hands folded in my lap and stared down at them. 

"So, why were you so urgent to speak to me, Katniss? You usually don't favor my company," President Snow said. 

"There's something I need to show," Katniss replied. She reached into her bag and took out a disk. The disk contains the things that Luke said, that night he visited the arena. "It's about Luke." 

"Luke? My nephew? Head Gamemaker?" 

"Yes, that Luke," Katniss replied. She sounded surprisingly patient. "Do you remember the night that he visited the arena to see Willow? It was about two and a half months ago."