Chapter 16: The Trance

Dedication to belllalovessyouu for the amazing ideas of this chapter and being pretty fun to talk to! I twisted the idea just a tiny bit, but she's the one who gave it to me. Thanks for this genius idea!

Chris' POV

I can feel it happening again. I don't think the others have noticed yet. There are gaps in my memory. One moment, I will be sitting on the ground. The next, I'll be walking along with Willow. The first time, I was scared. All of it was very scary. But now, I'm absolutely terrified. The trances are more dangerous than ever before. If I hurt someone here, then there's not much we can do. When I stabbed Tetrick, he would've died, had I not come out of the trance. If the same thing happens here, he would die. I can barely live with the idea that I hurt him so badly. I could never live with the idea that I killed my childhood friend.

I'm afraid for my own safety, too. This is the Hunger Games. We've been here for two weeks and I'm very lucky to have encountered only a few Tributes. If I'm in a trance when I encounter a Tribute, I don't know how I will react. All I know is that I won't be myself.

Willow's POV

Being pregnant is starting to get to me.

I'm still nauseous in the morning, which is nothing new. Things have been that way from the beginning. I'm getting used to it now. But other things are starting to effect me, too. I have to pee all the time! I'm way more emotional than usual. Tiny little things are making me break down and cry. I don't understand it. Sure, my hormones are all out of whack, but I don't cry often. At least, I didn't before I was pregnant. Now I'm like a fountain or something.

I'm also having food cravings, which is inconvenient. There's no peanut butter around here.

In the morning, I woke up to Tetrick on one side of me and Talon on the other. Jessica was cuddled up to Talon. I chucked a little. I turned my head to look for Chris, who was laying on the other side of Tetrick. Or at least, she had been. She wasn't there anymore. I sat up and looked around. Not too far away, I saw her sitting on a log, staring out into the distance. She must've taken up watch at some point in the night. I walked over to her.

"Mind if I sit with you?" I asked.

"Sure," She replied. 

I sat down next to her on the log. Clearly, she had been in deep thought. I can't imagine how she feels right now. To have her secret exposed like that must be hard. Not only does the rest of her alliance now know, but Panem knows, too. I personally don't have any problems trusting her. I understand that she was not in control of her own mind. So I still trust her. But what about Talon and Jessica? How do they feel? I can imagine that their struggling to trust her. I'm sure they understand that none of this was her fault. However, it can be hard to use that as a justification when she was the hand behind the knife.

"Are you alright?" I asked her. "You seem upset."

Chris scoffed. "Do you really think I would admit to being upset if I was? You know me better than that."

I smiled. "Yeah, I do." 

She didn't smile back. She continued to stare off into the distance, not saying much.

"Hey," I elbowed her in the arm. "Tell me what's going on."

Chris bit her lip. She still didn't reply. 

"Chris, come on. It's okay. You can tell me. I don't blame you for the whole trances thing. If you don't want the others to know whatever is going on, then I won't tell them. You can trust me."

Chris blinked, and a tear started to stream down her cheek. It's strange to see her cry. From the moment I've met her, she's been like a hard shell. Very fit for the Hunger Games, I think. To see her breakdown doesn't match her personality.