Chapter 5: Training

Dedicated to XxWriterChicaxX for voting and commenting on every chapter of every story. I truly appreciate you.

I held the child in my hands, a warm smile on my face. She was so beautiful, so perfect. The best parts of Luke and I. I held her tiny little hand and gazed into her eyes. She looked back up at me, her blue eyes sparkling in the sunlight. Birds were chirping and not a tribute in sight. I kissed my little girl's forehead and set her down on the log, turning my back to grab my throwing knives and put them in my belt. I kept my ears alert, making sure that if someone was coming, I would know much before they arrived.

Yet, my ears decieved me, because I didn't hear the tribute until I heard the sound of a sword being pulled out of it's sheath. I spun around, knife already in my hand and poised to throw, but it was too late.  The sword noise didn't come from a sword but from a sickle. I turned around just in time to see the sickle slice through my baby's neck. Her little body slumped over and rolled off the log. The head went in the other direction, rolling for a few times before halting.

As if I had been possessed by a rabid animal, I screamed and launched at the attacker. I stabbed the knife into the heart one, two, three times. Blood sprayed up and hit me in the face. I backed off of the body of the tribute I just killed and for the first time, got a good look of him. It was Talon. 

I scooted backwards away from the body, horrified. I looked down at the bloody knife and dropped it. I couldn't stand the idea of keeping the knife on me. I got up and ran away from the two bodies. One of the bodies was my dear friend, the other my daughter. I ran until I couldn't run anymore. Once my legs felt like jelly, I dropped to the ground and put my back against a tree. I pulled my knees to my face and sobbed into them. What have I done? What has Talon done?

I sobbed and sobbed. The tears seemed to never stop. You would think that I wouldn't cry much, considering how I haven't drank an abundance of water for the past few weeks. All of my focus has been on getting my baby water, first. Yet, the tears continued to flow. I must've been sitting there for hours, crying about my lost daughter. I reached for one of my throwing knives, my hands shaking. I could barely grasp the hilt. Without a second thought, I sent the knife straight towards my own heart, ready to stab myself and end my life, because it would be easier than what I'm going through now. Although my hand was moving fast, the time seemed to crawl by. The knife was so close to hitting me. I closed my eyes, and braced myself for death.

I gasped awake, sitting straight up in my bed. The sheets were soaked and my body felt cold. Tears were streaming down my face. I could tell that they had been for a while now. I wrapped my own arms around my body, as if I was about to fall apart and I needed to hold myself together. My hands were shaking.

"Willow?" A soft voice called out to my left. I jumped and looked over towards the voice. It was Talon. I hadn't even noticed that he was there. The memories of him cutting off my daughter's head were still fresh in my mind. I screamed and rolled off the bed at once. The second I hit the ground, I sprung up to my feet. I stayed there, poised and ready to pounce. Talon's eyes went wide with fear. He stared at me, dumbfounded. I stared back. It took me a few moments to realize that Talon hadn't really killed my daughter. We weren't in the Hunger Games yet. We hadn't even started training. I straightened up again. 

"I'm sorry. I had a bad dream." I said to him. 

"Yeah, I could tell. I'm pretty sure the District 1 Tributes from down on the first floor could tell, too. You were screaming your head off." Talon replied.

I was? Great. I didn't know that I talked in my sleep.

"Do you want to talk about? I heard that pregnant people have crazy dreams sometimes." Talon said.