Chapter Four

"I'm not saying I want to leave the ruins, I wouldn't want to at all!"  You said before she could finish. "But I would just like someone  different to talk to..." You sighed.
"Oh, in that case, take this.  It is called a cell phone. You can use it to contact people very  quickly." She smiled, handing you a small device with a small screen. 
"Thank you!" You hugged her tightly and smiled.
"Well, you should be going off to bed now, it is very late" Toriel stood up then walked towards the door.
"Good night" you smiled at her, tucking yourself into bed.
"Good night, Dear" Toriel replied then turned off the light and shut the door.

A week had past since you Toriel had gave you your cell phone but it was far too old to do anything you wanted/needed it to do. You appreciated the thought of it though. You and Sans had been talking every day for two weeks then and you honestly had never had more fun. You would talk for hours on end then have to leave but come back the next day. Sans told you about what was beyond the ruin doors and to be honest, the outside world made you want to get out of the ruins as soon as possible! He told you about his house in Snowdin Town and how he has this sock that he keeps telling himself and his brother that he will put away but never does. The skeleton told you about a lot of things and you couldn't wait to see them all. You needed to leave fast.

It was an early Thursday afternoon and you were as bored as hell. You were waiting until Sans would normal come but today, it would be different. You replayed the day before's events in your head like a movie.
You were sat by the door, listening to Sans' stories then came up with an idea.
"Sans, come exactly an hour later tomorrow, alright?" You said very seriously.
"Huh? Why?" He asked.
"I need to do something important at this time tomorrow"
For a week, you had prepared yourself for this. You were going to finally get out of the ruins.
"Alright then but be careful if it's important" Sans replied with somewhat concern in his tone.
'Is he... Worried about he?' You thought but doubted it and shook it off your mind.
"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine!" You reassured him.
"I have to go, see ya!" You smiled then ran up the stairs before Toriel could catch you.

It was only 5 more minutes until you would change everything. You decided to ask Toriel about exiting the ruins. You hated to admit it but you were nervous in some sense! Slowly, you walked to where she was usually sat. You took a deep breath then approached her.
"Toriel... There is something I have been meaning to ask you" You started.
The mother-like monster put down her book and looked at you. "Yes? What is it, Darling?"
"I... How would I exit the ruins?" You sighed.
"Exit the- Y/n why would you want to do that?" You sensed hurt and sadness in her voice.
"..." You tried to think of something to say but couldn't.
"I'm a lot older than when you first found me... I will be able to take care of myself on my own, I promise" You finally said.
"But the other monsters... They will kill you"
"I remember what you told me when I first came here, I'll talk and act my way out of things" You gave her a sad smiled.
"But what if you get-"
"I've been thinking about what I will do for quite a while now... I prepared myself and everything! I promise I'll be fine, Toriel. I really will!"
She sighed then looked at you but you couldn't look back. You knew the exact look on her face and what it meant; it hurt you to see her like this.
"Very well..." She sighed. "Follow me"

The monster took your hand for the last time and lead you down the stairs. She walked ever so slowly through the ancient hallways and to the end where the door stood. All was silent but until Toriel decided to speak.
"Beyond this door... Is the underground... Where every other monster is sealed." She began.
"You naive human... it has happened many times before... And it will happen again. Every human who leaves suffers the same fate...
They come... They leave... They die... I am only protecting you
Y/n... Prove to me... Prove to me that you are strong enough to survive!"

Crimson flames surrounded the two of you, there was no escape. "Fight me or run away" Toriel said, sternly. You could tell she really didn't want to do this. "I don't want to fight you!" You yelled, dodging the flames that were being launched towards you. You moved quickly and tried to think of something to talk about however, nothing came to your mind. As you avoided another flame, Toriel looked through you, you hated it. "I said I don't want to fight you!" You yelled again but she didn't listen, instead, launched an attack. A ball of fire hit you square on and it hurt like hell, however you refused to attack.

Every move she made, no matter how many times she attacked, you continue to not attack her back.
"...." Toriel's attacks began to get easier to dodge, although a few still hit you.
"..." She prepared another magical attack.
"...?" she launched another.
"What are you doing?" The fire's speed began to decrease.
"Attack or run away!"
"What are you proving this way?" You continued to spare her.
"Fight me or leave!" She took a deep breath.
"Toriel please stop!" You looked her straight in the eye.
"Stop looking at me that way"
"Go away!"
You were getting tired now, luckily, for some reason, the flames were missing you.
".........."
"If you continue to stay here... I promise I will take care of you, you know I will"
"I know it's not much but.... We have a good life here..."
"Why are you making this so difficult?"
"Are you really sure about this? If so, turn back"
You nodded slowly.
"......."
"..... Ha ha...."
You gave her a strange look. 'Why are you laughing?' You thought.
"Pathetic, is it not? I cannot save even a single child"
You sighed, for some reason you were getting really upset about this and had no idea why. You were leaving your mother like figure but it was for the best. That was what you thought. But at that moment, you felt like you were going to have a bad time.
"No... I understand..."
"You will be unhappy if I kept you down here any longer... You have grown up so much..."
"It would not be right for you to not see the world"
"My expectations... My fear... My happiness... For you, my child, I will put them all aside..."
You sighed in relief, you felt as if you were doing the right thing now that she agreed with you.
All of the remaining fire disappeared. It was just you, her and the towering door.
"If you truly wish to leave the ruins... I will not stop you any longer. However, when you leave... Please do not come back.... I hope you understand"
This struck you with shock. You did want to leave the ruins but at the cost of not coming back, you were no longer sure! Before you knew it, Toriel's arms were wrapped tightly around you. You put you arms around her for the last time as she whispered something in you ear.

"Stay safe... My child..."

Her voice was shaky and quiet but it was enough to tell she was crying. You guessed she had grown quite attached to you since you had stayed with her for a number of years, like you were her own child. As she let go, she refused to look at you until she reached the end of the room where she stopped. She turned to you with her eyes shining from the tears with a broken smile. "Good bye Toriel" you turned to face her but she was gone. You felt mixed emotions as you faced the door.
Sadness, Excitement, regret, anxiety. You didn't know how to feel!
You put your hand on the door, pushing it open, revealing the frosted scenery and a pathway, coated with a thick layer of snow. You took a step out and began to walk, hearing the door shut behind you.

You were finally free.

((Hello! Have some feels! I've been sick all day today so I took the opportunity to write this! I'm really happy with how it turned out! Yes, it's sad but it's the longest chapter I've wrote yet (My longest ever is 2492 Words)! Tell me what you think will happen next in the comment, you might be right or you might not! Either way, I won't tell you!

I'm going to write the next chapter now, I have this entire story planned out and this next chapter is going to be one of my favourite ones!

That is all I have to say so I'm going to stop rambling on and continue, Until the next chapter!

~Lilian Out))