4. The Pretender

Keep you in the dark
You know they all pretend
Keep you in the dark
And so it all began

Send in your skeletons
Sing as their bones go marching in... again
The need you buried deep
The secrets that you keep are ever ready
Are you ready?
I'm finished making sense
Done pleading ignorance
That whole defense

Spinning infinity, boy
The wheel is spinning me
It's never-ending, never-ending
Same old story

[Chorus (x2):]
What if I say I'm not like the others?
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender?

The Pretender

By: The Foo Fighters

When Sookie walked down stairs the next morning, she was on a mission. She was going to use her telepathy to "listen" to the human and Weres employed at Godric's nest. She made her way to the kitchen, and found the housekeeper, Gloria, making breakfast.

"Good morning, ma'am," Gloria said warmly, handing Sookie a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, a blueberry muffin, and a large cup of coffee. "I figured you would be hungry after your flight last night."

"You have no idea," Sookie said, laughing softly. She dug into her breakfast, but listened closely to the housekeeper's thoughts.

She seems like a nice girl.

Mister Godric talked about her so fondly.

Must be tired after such a long night.

Little thing looks like she couldn't hurt a fly. Wonder what she's going to do to help find Mister Godric.

Hope they find him soon. Such a nice man. Doesn't deserve any hardship.

He seemed like something was bothering him, though.

The last though caught Sookie by surprise. Something was bothering Godric? What could it possibly be? Could there be a threat in Dallas? Surely, though, his second would know if there was. She hadn't seen Godric in quite a while, although it hadn't been that long. Surely she would have seen if something was bothering him then. And surely he would have called if something was bothering him now. It just didn't add up.

The only problem Sookie saw in Dallas was the Fellowship of the Sun. They were blind in their hatred toward vampires, and they would do anything to eradicate vampires from the Earth. They were closed minded bigots, although Sookie had seen plenty of uprisings in her long lifetime—they always ended the same way—they were stomped out by those they hated. Humans always felt the need to oppose that which was so exponentially stronger than themselves.

Sookie sighed when she realized she had finished her breakfast. "Thank you Gloria. That was delicious."

"No problem, dear. Let me know if you need anything else. Lunch will be at 12:30," Gloria said, grinning from the praise Sookie gave her.

Sookie nodded graciously, and got up from the bar/island in the kitchen. She made her way to the library, where she felt another presence. Peeking in the door, she saw a middle aged man with dark hair, sitting in an armchair. She backed away from the door and sat in the sitting room directly across from he library, where she could still listen in to the man's thoughts. Pulling out her smart phone so she'd look busy, Sookie began listening.