10. Viva la Vida

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing,
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

Viva la Vida

By: Coldplay

The next day came too soon for Sookie's liking. Of course she enjoyed visiting her family, but it was so hard—and she wasn't able to take any support with her, namely Godric. As she was dressing for the event, she paused to think about the past few days. So much was happening at once, and she didn't know if she was reacting correctly. Even after all these years of being queen, she doubted herself. Perhaps it made her a better ruler, she didn't know. She just knew that she wanted what was best for her people.

What made her pause a second time, though, was the passing thought that maybe she should postpone the visit to the Summerlands. It would do her no good to become distracted with matters that she couldn't actually address. As harsh as it sounded, they weren't going anywhere—they would still be there if she went in a month or so. She shook her head as she slipped on her shoes and left to find Raegan. He would be able to help her.

She found him in the library, reading an ancient text about daemons. When he heard her enter, he stood up and bowed deeply, placing the book aside. "Your majesty."

"Raegan," she said, smiling slightly, "please, sit. I wish to ask for some advise from you."

"That is what I'm here for, Majesty."

"Yes, yes. I...I want to postpone the trip to the Summerlands. I don't want to become distracted. There are larger problems at hand right now, besides seeing fae that I cannot help. I should focus on the ones I can help, I think..." she trailed off, her foot tapping nervously under her dress.

"Yes, your grace, I can understand how that could seem the best course of action. You could always go in a few weeks, once strategies are in place...but won't you be sad?"

Sookie sat back and thought about his question. Of course she would miss them, as she had been looking forward to this visit all year, but they would understand. And she was positive that if they were here, they would have made the same decision.

"I will be sad, yes," she started, finally making up her mind, "but not as sad as I would be for the destruction of my people. I am queen, and you, my people, come before anything else—even my life."

Raegan nodded, giving her a look of respect that he saved for these special moments, when they were in understanding.

"Raegan, I have not always been fair to you. You have always done your best for me and this kingdom, and for that, know that I am, and will be, forever grateful," Sookie said, taking his hand, and igniting her light, letting him see the purity of her words in the bright white color her light took. With that, she stood up and nodded to him before walking out of the library and to the strategy room.

She didn't know how long she stood in that room, staring off into nothing, just getting her mind in the right state. She knew Godric was probably trying to find her, but she didn't want to be found. She had suppressed her scent before she left the bedroom so he couldn't track her. She had too much on her mind. This war would be the last war, and there were only two outcomes—the devastation of her realm and the enslavement of her people, or she would become queen of both the water and sky. She would only survive one of those outcomes. She knew there were plenty of beings out there that wanted her proverbial head on a silver platter. After two thousand years, she had made many enemies, and that frightened her...who could the Water king enlist to help him?

She remembered when the world used to be much smaller in population. It seemed back then as though she controlled the entire thing. Now, however, the world had grown. Would she have to come out to the mortals if she won the war? Her people would have to have somewhere else to go, as the fae realm was becoming increasingly over populated. There were so many questions.

Eventually, she made it back to her chambers, too exhausted to even pop herself there, to find an irate Godric pacing the room, fangs down, fists clenched.

"Where have you been?" he asked, barely even looking up at her as she entered the room.

"Busy doing my duties," she responded as she was taking her jewelry off and putting it back in the safe.

"You didn't visit the Summerlands today," he stated matter of factly.

"No, I didn't. If you will calm down, I'll explain why."

It took him a few more minutes to finally calm down enough to sit on the chaise lounge. "I'm sorry for my behavior. I didn't know where you were, and no one would tell me where you have been all day."

"It's fine...I just wanted some privacy today, is all. I didn't go to the Summerlands today because I can't afford to be burdened with too many emotions at this time. I'm busy planning war, and I can't do that when I'm too busy dealing with two thousand year old grief."

Godric simply nodded, allowing her to have her space. They sat there together for a long time, neither of them talking, simply in understanding that their time together could be fast dwindling down.

"We should return to the Earth realm tonight," Sookie said, standing up. "I will only stay the night, and get some loose ends tied up, and then I will return tomorrow evening. I can't leave my people here to defend themselves. I feel something stirring in the air, and I'm afraid that the Water king will strike when I'm away."

"I agree, we should return as soon as possible."

Sookie merely nodded, knowing it was no use to argue the vampire—if he wanted to return with her, he would, no matter what. And chances were, she would also be returning with a 1000 year old viking, and his child as well.