5. Hurt

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything [Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here [Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

HurtBy: Johnny Cash (Originally Nine Inch Nails)

"We need a plan," Sookie said to the vampires the next night. She had spent the whole day trying to plan what they should do, but then remembered that Eric would probably just dismiss what she had to say. He would want to go in guns blazing.

Eric looked at Sookie, taking her in. When she was in this mode, she turned him on like he couldn't believe. She looked so powerful—just her presence had the ability to command a room. He may have looked more intimidating, but anyone who knew anything knew that she was the one to be feared. She had been known to be vicious in her long life. Appearances be damned. Before Eric had even been made, Sookie and Godric had been instigating wars.

"Eric? Are you even listening?" Sookie asked, irritated.

"Yeah, sorry. My honest opinion is that everyone in the Fellowship should die," Eric said, earning a few grins, and a few frowns. "They are all mindless sheep. Even if they are innocent by actions, they are guilty by thought. They have done nothing to try to stop the Newlin's, or report any of their actions. Just rid the world of their presence."

Sookie frowned. She couldn't deny that Eric had a point. The members of the Fellowship were brain washed. At the same time, though, she wasn't the same blood thirsty being she was before. She didn't want to kill just for the sake of killing.

"I think we should be...selective. Kill those directly involved. Glamour the rest of the church. There are enough of you that it shouldn't take that long to do. I will go tomorrow and infiltrate the Fellowship, and find out where they are keeping Godric hostage. There's no point storming in, and not knowing where to go."

"Will you be okay to go alone?" Eric asked, looking at Sookie with concern. He knew she could handle herself, but he still worried.

"I think I'll be fine on my own. They may not trust most lone women, but I can craft a story to make them sympathize, I'm sure."