Chapter 14

"I feel like I'm in a movie that has a thug girl locked up in prison, and she always has to glare at the people around her in order to keep them away from approaching her," I babbled excitedly into the phone, adding a hint of more sugar to the French toast I was making.

"Except you smile and laugh instead of glaring and staying quiet," Zach mumbled, crunching on something.

I gasped, flipping the toast. "Hey, I'm dangerous!" I protested, glaring at the toast and stabbing it with a fork and placing it on my plate.

"Yeah, when it comes to someone trying to eat your food," he chuckled.

"What can I say, I'm a danger to anyone who takes what's mine. Just like how I'm a danger to you because of how I know you're eating my secret stash of goodies." I sigh. "Too bad for you. Next time I see you you're gonna get it."

The sound of his laugh made a smile pull at the corners of my mouth. I shoved some toast into my mouth, moaning as the delicious taste appealed to my taste buds.

"It's really that good?" he asked. "Man, do I miss your cooking, Bell."

I rolled my eyes. "Well of course you do," I agree confidently. "My cooking is the best there is."

"Anyways, miss I'm-so-confident, what are you gonna do today? Any plans with your honey?"

"Ha ha, you're so funny," I said sarcastically, shoving another piece of toast into my mouth and talking. "You're also a jerk."

He made a gagging noise through the phone, mumbling, "Ew, you know it's not very ladylike to talk with your mouth full."

Laughing, I finish my food and wash it down with a fresh glass of milk. I pick up my plate and cup and wash and clean them. "Yeah, things don't change, after all," I mumbled, then laughed when Zach said nothing. "What're you doing? You with the mate?"

He huffed as a response. Huh, so he wasn't with her. Wonder where he is then, if he isn't with the school, that is.

"I'm at the high school helping out," he answered after more munching.

"How's mom and dad?" I asked, the sad tone in my voice making him sigh.

"They're good. Trying to stay busy while you work your own problems out," Zach answered without a beat.

"Meet me outside when you're done," the Beta interrupted me.

"Zach, I'm sorry, but I have to go right now," I apologized regretfully, getting up from the seat and following behind him.

He chuckled. "It's fine, Bella. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay."

"Bye, sis, love you."

"Bye, I love you."

I hung up the phone and planted my hands on my hips. What is this guys problem? I took a deep breath.

"Why did you want to meet me when you clearly saw me talking to my brother on the phone?"

Ryan looked over his shoulder and gave me a blank look. "Because, that's why."

To live as a prisoner is a life that most couldn't stand, yet I'm not a prisoner, not really. I have the freedom to roam wherever I'd like, to eat whatever I'd desired, but at the same time I'm not free. I'm held here against my will. Truthfully, I'd rather be a prisoner than what I am right now.

I cast my eyes skyward as my mind went blank. Then I was back, but I wasn't at the same time. I don't know how to explain it. The only way I could try explaining the experience was like the time when I invaded Zach's mind. I could see, hear, and feel anything he did. But this time was different; this time I was inside the mind of a great bird.