Chapter 31

"When Zach and I were younger we used to sneak into the pantry and eat all kinds of junk food. As much as we could get our hands on before my parents found us, at least. And when they did, we would run and yell and separate, and drive them crazy because of how fast we were," I was telling Shadow, laughing at the memory. Oh, I definitely remember that.

But as I gazed at my mates laughing face, I wanted to know about him. All night we've talked about me, me, me – which I didn't expect, at all. Although, somehow, I could feel a hidden tension between us that I couldn't put my finger. But now is the time to ask questions of my own.

"So," I drawl, "what about you? Tell me about you."

His face instantly hardens, but I grab his hand and smile sweetly at him.

"You can tell me." I wanted so badly for him to really open up to me, to trust me, to fully open his heart.

He clenched his jaw. "My past is better left unsaid." And he pulled his hand back, and I felt as if he'd pushed me away.

I clench my own jaw. "Why is it so hard to open up to me?" I asked.

"We're on a date," he said in a hard voice. "Don't ruin it."

I was about to say something but closed my mouth as the waiter came back and placed more dessert on the table.

"Thank you."

The dessert looked amazing but at the moment I wasn't up for it.

"Eat."

I didn't touch the food.

"I said eat."

I didn't say anything and instead crossed my arms over my chest. He leaned forward and said "Eat" in a warning tone.

Stared at him and shook my head, getting up and walking out of there without looking back. It wasn't long before he was by my side.

"Get in," he snapped.

As the car was driven to the front I tried to leave but he stood right in front of me. And when I tried to walk around him he blocked me again. I finally look up at his blank and emotionless face.

I got in and he drove off. I didn't say anything for the rest of the drive home. Finally at the house, I get out and went straight into the forest. I head to where the Rose was and looked up at the dark sky. I took the heels off and threw them, cursing my mate all the way to my special place.

The grass welcomed me as I sat, resting my chin on my knees. Out of the darkness Otus showed up. I smile brightly at him, running a hand down his big side.

"What do you think I should do? Should I turn off my emotions?" I ask without really meaning the last one.

Zach's owl shakes his head and makes a disagreeing noise, big eyes looking into my soul.

"It'll be easier," I said quietly. "I wouldn't care if the Alpha King told me about his past or not. On whether he opened up to me or not. If he truly loves me or not, even though he does. But he still holds a piece of himself from me."

Panic was in his big eyes. I smile at him. "Tell the family I will always love them," I said.

I close my eyes. The emotions I could feel were disturbing yet comforting, and I was going to . . . .

"No!" a person yelled, interrupting me from my thoughts, slamming my body against a tree. Lips smashing against mine made my eyes snap open.

The Alpha King's eyes were closed tightly as he kissed me, but I didn't kiss him back. Slowly, he pulled away, eyes pleading. "Why would you do that?" he questioned.