18

"Niklaus" Elijah had jumped through the door and in to the garden. It was dark but with his supernatural vision, he could adjust. "Niklaus please come out and admit to your doings"

"Why should I deny them?" Klaus walked out in false surrender with his hands held above his head. Once he was in sight, Klaus reached for his pocket to wipe the ounces of blood which stained his lips and chin.

"You are testing my patience" Elijah groaned "what if Mikael were to catch wind it this, of what you were doing?"

"Then I'll surely blame it on this ripper and we would leave town" Klaus thought he had it all figured out, there was so much he had missed "the bodies are tucked nicely under the bushes and trees, nobody will know until morning and the gashes I've inflicted covers my fang marks completely"

"That's the exact comments I'd not like to hear, brother as it only leads me to believe that you are responsible after all" Elijah snapped

"Oh don't be so stupid" Klaus retaliated "I wouldn't lower myself to that"

"I beg to differ" Elijah huffed; he walked up to his brother "I'd prefer if you not ruin this night for me"

"Why? Because your precious distraction is here? News flash Elijah she is married now" Klaus retaliated

Elijah couldn't take it anymore. His hands quickly reached for his brothers head and he quickly snapped his neck. The crack was very satisfying, and the prospect of a few hours Niklaus free was blissful. But the wrath of him afterwards wasn't so pretty.

The deed had been done and Elijah took it upon himself to hide Klaus among the bodies he had his so well within the bushes, so Elijah could return to the party.

He had the intention of finding Lottie and hoping that she would be free to carry on their dance. She had something to say to him, hopefully he would find that out too.

The crowd was bustling so much that Elijah couldn't see anything. He pushed his way through the crowds until he stumbled upon Joseph.

"Elijah, I am glad you could make it" he welcomed "are you having a nice night?"

"Somewhat" Elijah admitted, earning a confusing look from Joseph "family troubles"

"Niklaus" he tutted "where is he by the way?"

"Taking a nap" Elijah smiled and told half of the truth "he'd be here in a few hours"

"Have you by any chance seen Lottie?" Elijah took the opportunity and asked

"I saw her walk up there" William approached them and pointed to the balcony overlooking the ballroom.

The balcony was positioned on the first floor, just up the stairs and to the left, through the doors and then you could see the whole ballroom.

"What is it that you want from her?" Joseph asked "maybe we can help you"

"Nonsense" William protested "he can go if he wants, what is to stop him?"

"Nothing" Joseph cleared his throat "hopefully she is up there for you"

"Thank You gentlemen" Elijah thanked and then swiftly left, running up the stairs.

Lottie never went in the balcony. But maybe she was looking for him and the best way to see everyone is through there.

His hands reached the golden doorknobs and he felt an overwhelming feeling of doubt. Maybe he should take his hands off and leave.

His thoughts took control and his hand hesitantly slid off and Elijah stepped back as if to leave.

But yet again, he hesitated. So finally, after some minutes of hesitation he stormed through the door.

Something was very strange. She lay sleeping on the chaise lounge that they had in there.

"Lottie" he said her name as he walked in and crouched down to wake her

Elijah noticed her golden gloved fingers loosely cradling an empty glass of wine; the contents spilt all over her golden dress making it a red/gold mess.

Her mouth dripped with drying blood, making Elijah wonder how much of that red on that dress was wine.

"Lottie" he said with more urgency, the people below completely oblivious to what was happening "wake up" he cried , slipping his hand under her head and holding it to his chest.

Elijah rocked with her limp body within his grasp.

She was dead. And by the strong smell of her dress told him that her death was by poison.

On the small coffee table in front of them, Elijah found a note, and it had his name on it.

My love,

I have tried to Hold in what I have been feeling these past few days without you. I thought it would be Easy living without you, but Love is a silly thing. Please know I didn't mean to hurt anyone in my selfish whims.

And I didn't mean to hurt you. But my life is so different without you, and I shouldn't have brought you in to mine, because now you have to see me with someone else.

I have drank poison and by the time you read this I will be lying dead next to you. I am sorry, truly I am.

Forever yours,
Lottie

Elijah tried to soak it in, as he held her body close to him, hoping she'd just wake up, he tried to feed her his blood, anything that had a chance of working.

But she was too far gone. She was dead and she couldn't come back.

He cursed himself for ignoring her urgent calls, maybe she wanted to ask him for help, maybe he could have done something if he was not too caught up in his bastard brother.

Elijah held her in his arms once more, in the morning they'll take off. There was nothing here for him anymore.