43

*2 years later*

The sun burnt through the curtains in the living room, the light just skimming Elijah's feet. The clock indicated it was 8.05 in the morning and the sun was shining brighter than ever.

He walked to the front door, unlocked it and stepped out of the house onto the wooden porch. At his bare feet lay a black and white newspaper, which he bent down to pick up immediately. Elijah's eyes squinted as the rays of the sun shone in his brown eyes.

He shook it out so the newspaper was fully visible, Elijah read the headlines group of six found dead in Lafayette cemetery.

He laughed to himself. Over the past two years, Niklaus had created a new order when if the witches ever decided to practice magic without his word, they would die and he used the new alliance with the wolves to enforce it.

The vampires had once again taken the reigns of the crescent city. But Elijah wasn't at the heart of it; he was at the heart of something far better.

He walked over to the right and took a seat, the chair swinging back and forth due to the new weight being put on it.

His focus being switched from the font printed onto the paper and the view he had from his swinging chair. He looked over onto the green grass that grew around his house as well as the newly painted and refurbished white fence he had built when they first moved in and painted every single time he found a mark.

The cloudless day only added to the blissful atmosphere, it was just perfect. It was serene, the kind of paradise he had always dreamt of.

"You're such an old man" a voice called from the doorway, Lottie leant against it with a playful smile on her face

"Is this not what you wanted?" Elijah laughed

"It is everything that I wanted" she smiled, jumping on to the space beside him "and more" she placed a kiss on his cheek and leant her head on his shoulder

"Then don't complain" Elijah winked

"I wasn't" she looked up at him "I was admiring you being somewhat human"

It seemed to be that they had gotten everything they wanted, a big house, a white fence, a swinging chair, just the littlest of things meant the world.

Their house was in the middle of nowhere so they didn't have any close neighbours. But a local store was located about 10 minutes down the road and Elijah and Lottie were very familiar with the owners, they were an old couple from West Virginia who moved down to be nearer family.

Elijah and Lottie did visit the city often, to see Niklaus and Feed on the tourists. Lottie was a flourishing vampire, she didn't get much of a thirst when she turned, she didn't get out of control, she was just normal.

Every now and again her face would change, but that was only natural for vampires anyway.

But they both really enjoyed their lives, they would even catch each other talking about normal, human things, like getting a dog, who's turn it was to do the dishes, who was cooking that night etc.

And Lottie finally felt comfortable In her own skin, in this time period. She no longer missed the days so waltzed around in tight corsets and golden gloves, she didn't miss the days where she was one of the most respected ladies in the city.

Everything was absolutely, irrevocably, inarguably perfect.