Chapter One

People you care about don't just show up when you need them the most. Ever. It's just the way it is. No matter how far or how close you are. The farther you are, the harder it gets. Day by day the same lonely feeling. It crawls through you, with a sharp pain, stabbing you in the chest. Every single day.

You see, when you care about someone, and they truly care for you back, it's almost like you know it will be permanent from the start. You feel that, tingling feeling inside of your stomach. Then, you start to feel as if you can't be without them.

The worst part is leaving them.

Becca Washington never wanted to be alone. Nor had she ever expected to be the way she is now. She never had thought one could be so unhappy in life, but it had somewhat fascinated her. She had been extremely surprised by what sadness could to to a person. It takes you, controls you, then ruins you, leaving nothing behind. Becca was completely blindsided by all of what was happening to her. It all started when her father died in a horrific car crash. She isolated herself, making sure nobody knew of the sadness she had been hiding inside of her for all of this time. But I had been obvious. Everyone knew how she had felt. They understood that, because of this isolation she had put herself into, she could not be helped.

It was about two months ago when her aunt, Carol, took her in. Becca had hardly ever talked to her aunt before the accident, which had taken a toll to the both of them. Carol was close to her brother, as Becca was with her father. It was hard for the both of them, very hard, but Becca knew that Carol would do anything in her power to make her happy again.

Becca's long black hair always flows down last her shoulders, while her big brown eyes are gently shut, as her earbuds are plugged in. She forces herself not to cry, but the images of her and her father that had been spread across her bed, triggered the tears that came rushing down her face. She promised herself that she would never forget her father.

It was December second, and Becca could smell the cookies that Carol had been making downstairs. She hadn't started school yet, she wasn't ready. Of course, she was grateful that she was getting the chance to start over, yet at the same time, she didn't want to. Knowing that nobody was going to pressure her about her father, or ask too many questions was a good thing. Becca wasn't planning on telling many people, if not anyone. She wanted to keep to herself. To hopefully make a couple of friends and get through the rest of high school. She didn't want to stand out, or to be popular like she had used to be. She can't see herself ever being like she used to be. Becca knew how different she was now.

Carol had called her downstairs to help her decorate cookies for a Christmas party she was hosting. Becca complained about the party being too early in the month, but Carol didn't mind. She knew Carol only liked to host her holiday parties early because then more people will be able to come. They won't be as busy planning for other parties or events. It was smart really. Carol was bright, she knew what was best. It was the reason Becca had loved being around her. Carol brought light into her life.

"Make sure you add thick layers of icing for the kid's cookies. You know they love sugar," Carol had told Becca, handing her a tube of icing.

Becca was always very artistic, she used too draw the same things over and over again until she found them to be absolutely perfect. Decorating cookies was a piece of cake for her. Drawing small snowflakes and tiny snowmen with the different colored icing, she had found a small peace to it. A smile crept her face as Carol showed Becca a picture of her nephew, Benny, decorating Christmas Tree ornaments. Becca couldn't help it, Benny was adorable. His light blonde hair covered his small forehead. He had looked a lot like his mother, Becca's older sister, Anna. And my oh my was she the most beautiful girl in the world. Anna had married young, to a young man named James who had always been her opposite, but that's what made them perfect for each other. Becca had never been in a relationship, nor does she think she ever will want to. She doesn't believe much in marriage, it doesn't make sense to her. It didn't make sense to her father either. Becca's mother and father had never gotten married, and that was okay with Becca. Her mother had died after she was born so Becca had never met the woman, but her father always told the best stories about how magnificent she was. Becca only wished she would have been able to meet her mother, to have been able to be close to a woman growing up, but as she knows, things happen. She just needed to learn to accept that.