Chapter Four

She fell fast asleep on the couch last night and even though the couch was not a single bit comfortable, she got lots of sleep. She was awoken around the time of two in the afternoon by a loud knock on the front door and a killer headache. She figured her aunt would be awake by now and waited for her to answer the door. She heard the lock click and the door swung open.

Carol gasped and said,"Oh my goodness, it can't possibly be you can it? How long has it been, 5 years or so? You've grown into such a handsome young man!"

The man at the door laughs and Becca gets up and heads to her room, knowing that Carol will want to invite the man inside. She applies eyeliner to her eyelids and makes sure both of the wings are perfect. Next she changes into blue jeans and a Navy blue sweatshirt. On her bed, she pulls her journal onto her lap and gleams over at her father's. She wonders what's stopping her from wanting to read it. It looks old and some of the pages are torn at each' bottom. It's binder is cracked and must be easy to bend. She looks at the doodles of a woman on the journal, and how the doodles resemble both her and her sister. She wonders if the woman could possibly be her mother, and if this journal had something about her. Becca didn't take her thoughts into action and stayed in her bed thinking of possible ideas for the novel she had been desperate to start.

Becca wants this novel to be perfect, a masterpiece. She wants it to mean something to not just her, but to the people who will read her novel. She wants the readers to be able to feel every single word. She wants them to laugh, to smile, and to cry.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knocking sound from outside her bedroom door. It opens, slowly at first, starting with a small creek, then all together revealing the most handsome man, the girl had ever seen. With his rough blonde hair, which had obviously been dyed from its natural brown, shining light brown eyes, and lips that were perfect. His body looked muscular on the outside. He wore a red and black flannel with black jeans. His arms had been full of tattoos of flowers and owls and fish. Some looked like cartoon characters.

The man smiled at Becca who had not cared one bit about his looks. She knows very well that looks may be very, very deceiving. But he doesn't take his eyes off of her, not for one second. She wonders why this is. Does he know her? Have they met before? She stands, unsure of what to say, and walks towards him.

"Hi, my name is Justin. You must be Becca, right?" the man who's name she knew she would most likely forget with time, gave her another heart-warming smile.

"How do you know my name?" Becca asks, even though she already expected that Carol had told him.

"Your aunt, Carol, she had told me you were here. I don't know if you remember me but, we were in the same fifth grade class. You and I were best friends."

Becca hadn't remembered much about the fifth grade, but she did remember the boy who had always stood up for her, and was really, her only friend up until eighth grade. She smiled at Justin, which told him that she remembered him, and she knew that, it made him very happy.

"You remember?" His face lights up.

"How could I not remember? You look so different now," and what she said was very true. Justin was taller than he used to be, he's more of a manly figure now, and of course his voice had gotten deeper, and she loved it. He had pulled her into a warm, welcoming hug, something she hadn't had in a very long time. Her and Justin sat on her bed and talked about all that happened over the years, she thought it had been going very well. Justin didn't ask too many questions about her dad when she accidentally brought it up. She vented to him like she used to, and he listened, just like he used to.

He left at around five, after giving Becca his phone number and telling her that he would see her very soon. She didn't tell him when she was going to start back in school, she didn't feel the need to.

Down in the kitchen, Becca sat at the table as Carol set a plate of food in front of her.

"I saw the registration papers on the counter. Are you serious about going back to school? Are you sure your ready?"

Becca nodded her head and dug into her food, not wanted to talk about her reasonings.

"How did it go with Justin?" Carol asked her.

"It went well. I didn't recognize him at first. He looks a lot older."

"I figured that, after I saw the forms on the counter, you'd want to know someone at school, and he used to stop by all the time to see if you were here. At some point in time he worked for me too, before he was old enough to get a job." Carol took a bite of the scrambled eggs sandwich that was on her plate and Becca smiled.

"He changed," Becca says, hating to admit it.

"He went through a lot. When you left, his mother died of cancer. You know how close Justin was with his mother. Just like you and your father- may the man rest in peace. Anyways, his father was never around so he had to look after his little sister all the time, it was hard for him, it really was. I helped him out as much as I could, but most of the time he wouldn't accept the help."

"Why not? He obviously needed it," Becca's heart fell. She already knew the answer and was completely heartbroken by what her aunt was telling her. She hadn't known at all about Justin's mother. She knew his father was not around as much because of his drinking problems. He didn't mention it earlier either and she wonders why. He never used to keep things from her, but times have changed, she knows this as well.

"His mother always taught him it's always better to give and not to take. He figured when his mothers life was taken, he needed to start giving more. Helping his sister out was a big part of that. The poor boy will be rewarded someday." The answer was not what she expected, but Justin has always been the kind of person to never take from people. He hardly ever got into trouble even when he was very young. She never knew why she moved away in the eight grade, her father never told her, and her sister didn't know either. It was very sudden, she knew this. But there had to be a reason. Becca didn't know how much she'd missed when she was gone, and it was going to hit her hard. She knew that for a fact.