Chapter Two

Becca had never thought about how big her family actually was. At around five, guests started to gather in the living room, putting boxes wrapped with different colored paper under the tree. It was loud, very loud. She could hear the conversations crystal clear from inside of her bedroom, with the door closed tightly shut. She could hear her beloved family whom most of the people she hadn't met, or hardly knew existed at all. Becca didn't have the guts to go down and face the family she never knew. She couldn't. She wanted to sit in her room and wait until every single person was gone from the small house. She didn't even flinch to answer her bedroom door when she heard a knock coming from the outside of it. She knew Carol would want her down there. She knew that Carol wouldn't stop trying until Becca gave up. But Becca wasn't ready. She wasn't ready to face the humiliation she felt she would be under. It would be too much of a burden to show her face in front of family members from each side of the family. It wouldn't make sense for her to go down and feel so alone inside, even though the room would be filled with tons and tons of people. So when her bedroom door opened, she refused to turn and face Carol. She wouldn't. She couldn't. But Becca hadn't realized that it was not Carol who was at her door, but Anne. Anne knew how stubborn Becca could be, but that won't stop her.

"Aunt Carol would really like it if you came downstairs,"Anne said, sitting down next to Becca,"there are so many people downstairs who want to meet you."

Becca doesn't reply, being as stubborn as she knows she is. She missed her sister, she really did. Even though Anne only lives a couple of hours away, they don't get to see each other often. Anne knows how hard it has been for Becca. She knows that Becca needed some time alone after the accident.

"Dad wouldn't have wanted this Becca. You know that. He would have wanted you to come down and meet everyone."

Becca spoke up without thinking, knowing what she was going to say wouldn't be acceptable,"If Dad were here, none of this would be happening. Everyone would be happy."

Anne frowned but Becca didn't care how upset she made her sister, she would end up being forced to go down anyways.

"Look Becca, I know your still upset about everything that happened, and I know I should have been there for you so much more, but if your not going to do this for Dad, then do this for poor Aunt Carol who has to deal with your attitude and mood swings because you can't deal with it yourself. I don't want to be harsh, I don't want to be mean. But this has to end Becca. This is not you."

Anne stands and walks over to Becca's closet and pulls out a blue tee-shirt and a clean pair of black skinny jeans. She throws them towards her and Becca groans.

"Get dressed. If you don't want to talk to anyone, I won't force you to, but at least try to. And if you get lonely, Benny is here. He loves it when your around."

She walks to the door as Becca sits on her bed with the clothes in her hands. She promises her sister that she won't make a scene and Anne leaves, closing the door slowly behind her. Becca does as her sister says and changes out of her fuzzy pajamas, brushing her teeth, and doing her hair nice and neat.

The living room is filled with adults of all ages, laughing, talking, eating, and having a good time. Becca's stomach felt odd as she snuck her way into the kitchen to try and find Carol. She wanted to stick to Carol's side the whole time, just in case anyone wanted to ask her about her dad. Becca always hated talking about her dad. It triggered the sadness and loneliness inside of her and made her feel guilty that she couldn't stop her father from getting into the car that day. When she finally made her way to the kitchen she found Carol talking to a woman she had known she'd never seen before. Becca wondered if her coming down was a mistake. She thought about running back upstairs and shutting everyone out and not coming down until they left. But when her eyes met Carol's, she knew it was too late for that. Carol and the stranger she was talking to made their way towards Becca, and she already felt uncomfortable. The woman introduced herself as Stacy, a distant cousin of hers. She told Becca that she lived in NewYork and had her own publishing company. Carol told Stacy about Becca's great interest in both reading and writing. She told her that Becca would spend hours and hours reading various novels and spending months writing books of her own. This was only partly true. What she didn't tell Stacy was that most of her time was basically spent in bed, not having any friends to hang out with. But she was glad that this wasn't mentioned.

She told herself she would try to meet as much of her family as possible without causing a scene, and that's exactly what she did. It was torture to her really, she wasn't ready to have conversations with new people. She wasn't ready to be able to introduce herself as Becca Washington. John Washington's youngest daughter, it was nearly as hard as she'd expected, but making sure she didn't cry was harder. Everyone she introduced herself to said something about her father. Either how they met him, or the relationship they had with him. She wonders why her father kept her from these people all this time.

When everyone left, Becca felt herself sigh of relief as Carol started cleaning up the living room and the kitchen. She tried to help her aunt, but Carol refused the help. So she made her way up to her bedroom and sat on the bed, gathering the pictures and putting them safely in a box filled with some of her father's belongings that he had left behind.