Chapter One

Who was that strange girl? Rose found herself wondering. She'd gone to the movies by herself, her brother Dave off with his girlfriend and her friend John making out with a poster of Nicholas Cage or something. Rose was expecting nothing but an enjoyable few hours of wizards and monsters.

However, it seems that wasn't to be. Someone was staring at with a gaze so intense it made her uncomfortable. For a moment, she wondered if perhaps there was a rip in her dress or toilet paper stuck to her shoe.

No, there wasn't. The girl was just... watching.

Watching as Rose got popcorn, paid for her ticket, began to walk inside the theater. Watching with green eyes that were bright with intensity and intelligence. A shiver ran up her spine as Rose felt those eyes follow her- she almost wanted to confront the strange girl, but that seemed a risky and idiotic thing to do.

At least, she figured, she wouldn't be watched in the theater. Rose was just settling into her seat (blissfully alone) when some ignorant person sat next to her.

"Excuse me?" she asked, keeping her voice calm. "That seat is taken." 

The mysterious person turned to her, and Rose felt her heart freeze in her chest. It was that girl! Even in the darkness of the theater she recognized those jade-green eyes.

Up close, Rose could see more about her. With short black hair and olive skin, the unsettling strange was really rather pretty. Her mouth was lined in black lipstick and set in a tantalizing pout. Wait, what was she doing, thinking about the girl's lips?!

"Why are you here? Did my mom send you? Or Dave, just to bug me?" Rose said, her tone harsh and clipped. Her patience for this was wearing thin.

The girl shook her head, making her short, spiky hair bounce. "No, I came here alone. I regretfully apologize if I disturbed you- I just knew since the moment my eyes found you that I wanted to ask you a question."

Rose cocked her head with curiosity. What could this strange girl possibly want to ask her?

"Okay. What is it?"

"Are you single?"

A sharp peal of laughter rang through the theater, drawing the attention of several annoyed patrons. Rose stopped laughing for a moment to glare at them- it wasn't like the movie had started yet! There was no reason to be so huffy.

She looked back at the girl, a rare smile on her lips. "That's why you were staring at me? You wanted to know if I was single?"

 A soft blush began to color the girl's cheeks. "That is what I wished to know. You're utterly striking and I would genuinely like to get to know you." Her speech was clipped and formal, but there was real warmth and emotion behind her words. It reminded Rose... well, it reminded her of herself.

She shook her head slightly, still smiling. "I don't even know your name, let alone if I'd like to date you."

The girl raised her eyebrows, grinning back. Her teeth were white again the black lips. "My name is Kanaya. What is yours?"

"I'm Rose." she said warmly, shaking Kanaya's hand. "Now, how about we watch this movie first... and then... you want to go out for coffee?" Rose asked, blushing ever so slightly.

"That would be wonderful." Kanaya answered.

Rose was pleasantly surprised- she'd come here to be alone, but it turns out she'd found something better than solitude. She'd found a potential friend.

Maybe even something more.