Chapter Eleven

Meanwhile, not so far from the church, a certain lanky blonde boy was stretched out on his couch and ignoring any urgent texts. "Dave?" His dark-haired partner said softly. "Shouldn't you check your phone? It sounds kind of important... looks like it's from Rose."

Dave shook his head, wrapping an arm around Jade and pulling her closer. "Rose can wait. Right now I want some alone time with you."

She squirmed away, reaching for his phone. "You're being a butt right now. I'll answer them myself."

TT: Dave, this is really urgent!

TT: Mom is in trouble.

TT: Are you seeing this?

TT: John is here. We're headed to the hospital.

TT: DAVE!

Jade looked up, her green eyes wide with shock and fear. "Dave, I think you should look at this."

He stared at her, eyes crinkling. Dave didn't think he'd ever seen Jade look so pale and... scared. So, albeit reluctantly, Dave took the phone out of her hands and read it himself.

TG: rose oh man i messed up didnt i

TG: what hospital is it tell me and ill get my a** there immediately

Dave waited anxiously for a reply- his stomach had curled itself in knots. "You know, she might not reply for a while..." Jade whispered in a soft voice. "She's probably busy, worrying herself crazy about your mom."

"Well, now I am too." growled Dave. "Why'd she have to do this? Always doing stuff like this."

"Who?" Jade asked quizzically. "Rose?"

"No, not... not Rose. My mom. Always getting herself stupid drunk when she shouldn't be. I told her so many times she was gonna end up in a hospital if she didn't cut back, but she never listened. And I don't want Rose to end up like her either. A washed-up alcoholic with two kids she never even wanted."

"Oh, Dave." Jade said in a voice soft with sympathy. "You know your mom loves you. And I doubt she wants to drink."

"Well, if she doesn't want to, she could at least get off her a** and try and get help. She knows I'd do anything for her- drive her to meetings or stop her from buying it or... or whatever."

"I don't think she does."

"What?" He asked. It was Dave's turn to be confused.

"I've seen the way you act to her. You're always so... hostile. Actually, you can be kind of like that to everybody. Not a lot of people see the side of you that I know."

"What the h*ll is that supposed to mean?" Dave snapped.

"I mean, I don't think your mom does know how you feel about her. All she hears is how angry you are at her. She probably thinks you blame her for what happened to you. She probably blames herself too. Dave, maybe-" Jade paused to take a heavy breath. "Maybe she drinks because of you."

For a second, Dave's red eyes seemed to glow with wild anger. "Are you saying it's my fault my mom's a drunk?"

"I'm saying when we go to see her, you should tell her the things you told me. The nice things. Say you love her."

He turned away, back hunched. "Why do you always have to be so understanding? Sometimes I wish you could just do the right thing and b***h with me."

Jade reached out and put a hand on his shoulder, smiling softly. "I get all my b***hing out when I'm complaining to Rose about how much you suck. All your friends get together to talk trash about you behind your back, so when it's done, I don't have any b****hiness left in me."

Dave smiled back- a small smile, but Jade still saw it. "You know I love you, right?"

"Of course I do." She grinned. "Now give me your phone- it looks like Rose replied back, and I don't want you driving."

He frowned. "Why not? You think I'm drunk or something?"

Jade leaned in and kissed him, long, on the lips. "Drunk on my looove."

Her boyfriend pushed her away, laughing along with her. "Don't tempt me or we'll never get to my mom on time. I'd stay here and make sweet love to you all day if I could."

"Better get to your mom then. I don't want to be forced to experience something like that."

Dave reached out and wrapped his hand around Jade's. No matter what, she could always make him happy.

Jade stuck out her tongue, making a dorky face at him with her buckteeth all the way out.

(Even if she was a butt)