Part Twelve

Balamb was more like a self-sustaining society than a refugee camp. As our horses trotted through the place, I saw farms, shops, houses, and other buildings. We were headed to what looked to be the "head" of the town - a large farmhouse with a porch and an arching roof.

When we arrived, Choco and ashley tied up the horses to the fences by the house.

    "Home sweet home," Choco said. "Ashley, you can stay with me until we rassle up some materials to build you a house. Feel free to wander around for now."

    "Cool," Ashley said. She gave us a little wave before heading out to wander the camp.

    "As for you," Choco turned to me, "just follow me."

    I followed Choco up the porch's steps and up to the birch wood doors. Choco pulled some keys out of his pocket and unlocked them, gesturing for me to walk in.

    I walked into the house, and was greeted by a fairly large, fancy kitchen. To the right was a flight of stairs, and to the back was an archway leading to a living room. I noticed someone sitting on one of the couches in the living room, their nose buried in a book.

    "Did you build all this?" I asked, still glancing around and taking it all in.

    "Yep," Choco responded. "Well, not just me. I had help from the other members of Crow."

    I followed Choco into the living room. "Hey," Choco greeted the person reading a book on the couch. "I have a project for you."

    The person looked up from the book suddenly. He had big eyes, and messy, blonde hair. He was also wearing a hoodie with grey stripes. The book he was reading was titled Wolf Breeding: An Advanced Guide.

    "Hi," he responded, looking at Choco. "Who's this? A recruit?"

    "He's your project," Choco explained. Choco went and sat next to the guy on the couch while I stood around a bit awkwardly.

    "Care to explain?" The guy on the couch said with a laugh.

    "I suppose I've gotta introduce you two, don't I?" Choco said to himself. "Kenny, this is Brandon, but his nickname is Pete or Petey. Petey, this is my friend Kenny. He's not a member of Crow but he helps out anyway."

    "Hi," Kenny waved at me.

    "Yo," I replied.

    "Aaaaanyway," Choco continued, sensing the awkwardness. "Kenny has a necklace like us. He's got healing powers."

    "Pete has a necklace?" Kenny asked. Choco simply nodded.

    "Yep. He also can't move his fingers right now because he thought it would be a good idea to win a PvP battle by grabbing and pulling a sword out of Mitch's hands."

    "Really?! That's awesome!" Kenny said, setting down his book on the coffee table and sitting up straighter. "I mean, it's bad that you're hurt, but it's still kind of awesome."

    "Heh, thanks," I said.

    "Think you could heal him?" Choco nudged Kenny in the arm.

    "I dunno," Kenny shrugged. "I'd have to see how bad it was and...well, I mean, I could try I guess."

    "Petey, come over here," Choco gestured for me to join them. I walked up to them and Choco took my hands in his and carefully began removing my bandages. It was the first time I'd seen my hands since they'd been stitched up; and they were gross. I could see all the stitching and the scabbed blood and it looked much more painful than it was.

    Choco handed my hands over to Kenny. He began poking at my hands and moving my fingers, asking if certain things hurt and whatnot. Eventually, he let go of my hands and looked at Choco.

"Did you stitch him up?" He asked.

"Yeah..." Choco replied, "it's not my best work."

"Yeah, it's really not," Kenny joked. "Anyway, I think I might be able to at least get his fingers moving again."

"You sure?" Choco asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Kenny replied. "I'll need to take a nap later, but I can do it."

Choco stared at him doubtingly for a moment, and I could have sworn they were having a conversation with their eyes. "You're sure?" Choco asked.

"I'm sure," Kenny reassured. "You're not my mom, dude!"

"He's my mom," I mumbled.

"What?" Kenny asked.

"Nothing," I dismissed.

Choco shifted on the couch, giving Kenny more room. "Do your thing," Choco said.

"Gimme your hands," Kenny said. I held out my hands and he took them in his. "Alright..."

Kenny took a deep breath and pressed his thumbs to my cuts. I winced, but tried not to move too much. He closed his eyes tightly and began to concentrate. My hands began to feel warm and kind of tingly. A minute of this went by, and nothing appeared to change, but I felt Kenny's hands get tense.

And then, the cuts got itchy. Somehow I knew that meant they were healing properly, but even if it was supposed to happen, my natural instinct was to scratch at them. I twitched one of my fingers, trying not to move.

And then I realized: I just freaking moved my finger.

Just as I realized this, Kenny made a strained noise. "If you need to stop you can," I told him. "I can move my fingers again!"

"Oh, thank god," Kenny breathed, covering his face with his hands and breathing deeply. "That was harder than I expected."

"That's what she said," I giggled.

"Petey, as your mother, I forbid you from saying that ever again." Choco laughed, and I laughed with him, but Kenny stayed silent, still breathing deeply.

Choco turned to him. "You okay?"

Kenny shook his head, keeping his hands on his face.

"Hey..." Choco scooted closer to the healer and grabbed his hands gently, removing them from his face. Kenny looked beyond distressed—tears welled in his eyes, and his hands were shaking despite being in the possession of Choco's. "Anything I can do?"

"G..." Kenny stuttered, "g-get me a b-b-blanket please."

Choco squeezed Kenny's hands before dropping them, and then nodded. He turned abruptly and rushed away to the kitchen and up the stairs. I was left alone with Kenny.

"Sorry," I said. "If I had known that...this would happen...I wouldn't have let you do it."

"No, no, it's okay, t-trust me. I'm always h-happy to help."

~~~

Did any of you suspect Kenny? ;)

Are you team red or blue for h3m? Personally, I'm team purple.