Part Twenty-Eight

Someone was pounding at the door. I froze, and stared at Lachlan. He did the same. I could tell we were both thinking the same thing: we'd been found, the government was here to arrest us.

Then a member of Crow, with sleepy eyes and bedhead, stuck his head into the kitchen. "I think someone's at the door," he said, groggily. Both Lachlan and I turned our heads to look at him. His hair was auburn, and very messy, covering one of his eyes. He looked like a teenager. His uncovered eye was reddish-brown and slightly clouded over.

"...we're aware," I said slowly. "We're just worried it might be someone not-so-friendly."

The boy blinked. "If they aren't friendly that door isn't going to be standing much longer, y'know," he said.

He was right. But neither of us replied. He sighed and looked up at the ceiling, like seriously? Do I have to do everything?

"Okay, I'll answer it then," he said, turning on his heel and leaving the room. I exchanged glances with Lachlan. He shrugged.

A moment passed. We heard the hinges of the door swing open, and then the boy let out a startled gasp, and quick footsteps made their way towards the kitchen. An unfamiliar figure stood in the archway, staring at Lachlan.

Lachlan stared back, as though he was looking at a ghost. "...Vikk?!" Lachlan whispered loudly.

The figure, who I guessed was Vikk, didn't say a word - instead, he lunged forward and enveloped Lachlan in a tight embrace and started sobbing. Vikk...the name was familiar to me. I thought maybe Vaq had mentioned it at some point.

"Vikk...Vikk...Vikky," Lachlan said, holding him tight. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"You're not going to believe what I just did," Vikk cried. Lachlan looked beyond worried.

"What did you do?"

"I...I..." Vikk began, pulling away from Lachlan. "I faked my own suicide."

Lachlan stepped backwards, shocked. He almost tripped over a chair. "You WHAT?!"

"I wrote a fake suicide note, planted it in the tower, and then left," Vikk explained. "I said I was going to jump off a bridge. I didn't say which bridge. They'll give up on finding my body eventually and just assume I actually died."

Lachlan grimaced, showing teeth, and pulled at his hair. He started pacing around the room. "JESUS CHRIST! WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!"

"Because...because..." Vikk wiped his eyes with his arm. "You know how it is, Lachlan! We can't be together as long as I'm working for the government. If I'd just resigned, there'd be riots! There'd be a national search put out for me! This way they at least know not to look for me alive."

Lachlan sighed, covering his face with his hands. "You're an idiot," he said, shaking his head. "And that's exactly why I love you."

Vikk looked relieved. "I love you too" he said. "Mind introducing me to your friend?"

He hadn't even looked at me. He was still staring right into Lachlan's eyes.

"Also, is that blood on his clothes?" Vikk asked. He still wasn't looking at me.

"I'm not really clear on that," Lachlan said, letting his hands fall to his sides. "This is Brandon, but you can call him Pete," Lachlan glanced at me. "Pete, this is Vikk. Founder of Vikkstar industries and also my boyfriend."

I slapped my hand to my forehead. "How did I end up with so many gay friends?"

"We're like magnets," Vikk said with a laugh.

"Well he's partially made of metal, so..." I gestured to Mat, who was still passed out on the floor. Lachlan looked in my direction, but Vikk didn't. I attempted to search the depths of my mind to remember what Vaq said about him, but I just couldn't. "...makes sense," I continued.

"I take it he's also gay?" Vikk asked.

"Yeah, him, and me," I said, gesturing more. "We're...a thing."

"Ah," Vikk nodded. He momentarily glanced at me before looking back at Lachlan. "Anyway, I realize that this has clearly become a refugee camp of some sort, but do you have room for me?"

"Possibly," Lachlan shrugged. They seemed to forget I was there. "If you're fine with sleeping in my bed, that is."

Vikk raised an eyebrow (which, speaking of his eyebrows, can I just mention how amazing they are? like seriously. Vikk's eyebrows are...bae). They stared at each other for a moment, with eyes that said "I'm totally gonna make out with you later just putting that out there". I cleared my throat.

"Oh, yeah, sorry Pete," Lachlan shook his head and glanced at me. "Do you wanna change out of those dirty clothes? I think there's some clean ones in your room if you can get to them without waking anyone up."

"I'll do that, thanks," I said, with a sly edge to my voice. "Make sure Mat doesn't...die...or anything...all right? Oh, and don't be too loud."

I winked. Lachlan went bright red.

I left them alone to do whatever (though I was fairly sure I knew what they were going to do), and then I took off my singular shoe which I was still wearing for some reason, and went up the stairs as quietly as I could. I went to my room. Three people I didn't know were sleeping on the floor, but two familiar people were sleeping in my bed.

Choco and Kenny.

Why they weren't sleeping in Choco's room I wasn't exactly sure, but I wasn't going to question it. I walked over to the dresser and started looking for something to wear. That's when I realized that Choco wasn't actually asleep.

"Petey...?" He whispered. I whipped around, startled. Choco's eyes were wide open.

"Jesus Choco you scared the shit out of me," I whispered back.

"Sorry," Choco replied. He was still lying down and it didn't seem like he was going to get up anytime soon. "I've just been really worried about you. My sixth sense was going off like crazy earlier today. And...are you covered in blood?"

I sighed. "I'm getting a little tired of explaining this," I said. "It's not blood. At least, I don't think. I mean, it's strange liquid from Hell so who knows."

"Hell?!" Choco whispered loudly.

"Shhh," I shushed. "I'll explain in the morning. I'm fine, don't worry. Get some sleep. You look like a zombie with those bags under your eyes."

"Mmm..." Choco mumbled. "Okay. G'night, Petey."

"G'night."

~~~

So...Vikk!

I'm gonna start including cameos of Team Crafted members. Who spotted the one in this chapter?

Ciao!