Part Twenty

So, part twenty. Excited? You should be.

(In all seriousness though I can't thank you guys enough for the support I've received on this story. Y'all are inspiring me to continue writing and I love it. Thank you so, so much)!

Enjoy!

~~~

Mitch drew his sword. "Wait!" I yelled. "I have a..."

I had no time to finish what I had been saying, because he took a swing at me. I ducked and rolled into the sand, attempting to hold out my hands in surrender, but Mitch was insistent.

He kept swinging, without pattern or calculation, and I kept dodging. "I HAVE AN INVITATION!" I tried to tell him, "I'M SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!" But he wouldn't listen.

I looked around for something, anything, that I could use as a weapon. Unfortunately, Guardian Beach was a rather clean city and there was nothing in the immediate vicinity that would do any amount of damage. Unless my fists counted, but with all the dodging I was doing at the moment, a well-aimed punch would be a miracle.

I was growing tired. "Why won't you fight me?!" Mitch yelled. I paused for a second, processing his words, when he landed a swipe on my shoulder. I pressed my hand to the cut and grit my teeth.

"Because I'm not here to fight!" I yelled. "I have an invitation!"

Mitch stopped. I fell to my knees, clutching my shoulder as blood leaked through my fingers and stained the clean sand. Mitch stuck his sword into the ground, a cold glint in his eyes.

I looked up at a security camera attached to the fence with pleading eyes.

"An invitation, huh? From who?"

Suddenly I noticed something. Hidden underneath his checkered hoodie. A glint of something silver.

It was only a hunch, but...

I stood up slowly, furrowing my eyebrows. I was losing blood fast, so I'd have to do this quickly. With my free hand, I reached out to grab the silver glint.

Sure enough, it was a necklace incredibly similar to mine. I pulled my hand towards me with a strong jerk before he could react, and broke the chain. His pupils got scarily small.

I looked at the necklace in my hand. "You've got one too, huh?" I said with a laugh. I tossed it over my shoulder and now Mitch was the one on his knees, gasping for air. I supposed this was why Choco told me to never take mine off.

"G-give...give i-it b-b-back," Mitch stuttered, falling over onto the sand.

"No," I smirked and shook my head.

Suddenly, there was a loud BEEP and the gate swung open. Whoever had been watching us on the security cameras must have finally decided to break up our fight.

"Go," Mitch growled, reaching in the general direction of where I'd thrown his necklace. "J-just g-g-go away. I n-never w-want to s-see your f-face again."

"Ditto," I turned away and walked through the gate, slowly, dragging my feet through the sand.

I reached the front door, but before I had the chance to open it, someone else opened it for me. He looked like a scientist, with goggles and a lab coat and everything.

"I really don't appreciate you getting blood all over my clean sand."

"You can thank your guard for that," I said through my teeth.

"I'm joking, I'm joking," the guy said, holding up his hands. "I don't care about the state of the sand. Come in, let me get your shoulder bandaged up. Please."