Part Thirty-Three

Several guns, all firing at once.

Suddenly, Mat was gone. I couldn't see him. I felt panic rise in my throat. He wasn't dead, was he? There would be a body then. Where'd he go?

Many strained noises came from the crowd of government officials. Two of them were on the ground, knocked out - one was bleeding profusely. Standing between them was Mat.

How the hell...? I thought. It didn't make any sense. How could he have gotten there?

Then he vanished again. I felt like I was going insane.

He reappeared and instantly kicked another guy in the chin, successfully knocking him out. Was he...teleporting?

Vanished. Reappeared. Punched a guy in the face. Vanished. Reappeared. Punched two guys. Vanished. Reappeared. Elbowed a guy in the gut. Only one was left standing.

Several of my friends had crowded behind me and were now watching this show of skill.

The one left standing cowered, and dropped his gun to the ground.

"P-p-please don't hurt me," the official whimpered. Mat motioned at me.

"Hey, Petey, come over here," he said, "I want to show you something."

Slowly, I stood up. Then I ran across the rocky ground, carefully stepping over unconscious and/or dead bodies, joining Mat.

The official raised his hands above his head and looked at the ground, shaking violently.

Mat whispered in my ear. "I'm gonna restrain him. Try and find out everything you can."

He vanished from my side and reappeared behind the official. Quickly, he wrapped one arm about the official's neck, in a position where he could kill him at any moment.

I raised my eyebrows, but didn't otherwise question it.

"Are we the ones you guys were looking for?" I asked.

"N-no," the official responded.

"Who, then?" I asked.

"Mitchell Hughes and Jerome Aceti," the official said. "We were sent to arrest them as well as Vaquxine, but they escaped."

"Where's Vaq?" I asked.

"Underground base," the official said. "Don't ask me where. It's secret even from me."

"Is there anything else we should know?"

"N-no," the official stuttered.

Mat tightened his grip on the official's neck.

"W-wait!" The official yelled. "Yes. Tomorrow. Don't try to save Vaquxine."

"What?" I asked. "You're insane if you think I'm going to believe you."

"NO! I'm telling the truth!" The official screamed. "It's a trap! You'll all die!"

I sighed. "Let him go," I told Mat. He did as I had told him, but punched the man in the jaw and knocked him out right after.

I shoved my hands in my pockets, exhaled, and looked at the ground. "Care to explain?" I asked quietly.

"Well..." Mat began. "The vaccine wasn't the only thing Vaq told me not to tell you about."

I stepped forward, over some more unconscious bodies, close to Mat. I could feel his breath on my face. I reached up, with both my hands, and felt around his neck until I found a string necklace. I tugged on it and pulled it out from under his shirt. Attached to the string was an orb, colored metallic silver.

I smiled sadly and pulled him into a tight hug. "Jesus christ," I said, though my voice was muffled by his chest. "Teleportation, huh? That's, like, the coolest power out of all of us."

Mat pulled out of the embrace, holding my waist with his hands. "Yeah, but unfortunately, not too useful in this situation. I can only teleport small distances, and I can't bring other people with me."

I quickly kissed him on the lips. "I have more questions, but I'll ask them later. Right now we should focus on finding a place to hide."

~~~

Sorry the chapter's so short!! TAT

Anyway, this thing's getting close to finished. There'll be many more chapters but they'll probably be short and action-packed.

Ciao!