Chapter 1

[this is a tease for a new story I'm working on....enjoy!]

Beck brushed her hair out of her face and scowled when it immediately fell back to where it had been.

She'd been wrestling with her hair for almost 10 minutes, trying to brush it out so it would lay flat without any strange snarls or loops.

Finally giving up, she grabbed a ponytail holder and pulled her hair back.

"Rebecca Gibbson, you will be late if you do not hurry up!" Her mother shouted down the hall.

"Hold on, I'm almost ready!" She shouted back, finishing the ponytail and sprinting out of the bathroom.

Running through her apartment, she snatched a banana off the counter in the kitchen and bolted for the front door.

Her mom chuckled. "Maybe if you didn't spend so long on your hair you wouldn't have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off."

"I didn't want to shower!" Beck insisted, yanking on her converse.

Her mother sighed. "Beck, you won't die if you stand under water for five minutes."

"You don't know that." Beck retorted, hauling her blue backpack over her shoulder and smiling at the jingling noises that the different Disney charms on it made.

"Alright, let's go then." They exited the apartment and got into her mom's dark blue minivan.

Halfway through the eight minute ride to school, just as they drove over the bridge over Cape Cod Canal, which always made Beck tense up, it started to rain.

Beck smiled a little, even though she felt a twinge of nervousness in her stomach. Rain tended to have that effect on her. The water itself terrified her, but rain always calmed her down. She loved rain, just not what it was made of.

"Have a good day, Beck." Her mom told her when they pulled up to the school.

Beck shivered involuntarily when the rain hit her skin, but smiled at her mom. "Bye."

"Have a good day." Her mom told her before pulling away from the curb.

Beck turned and examined her school for a moment.

Bourne High School was a pretty nice looking place. It was mostly brown, with large windows across the entire building.

The first thing Beck saw when she walked through the doors was a giant homecoming poster. Rolling her eyes, she walked under it and headed for her locker.

Shoving her books from her homework in her locker, she grabbed the ones she needed for her first class.

"Did you hear what the theme for homecoming is?"

Beck sighed and turned to Lizzie. "How couldn't I? There was a huge sign by the front doors."

The blonde seemed unaffected by her response. "Under the Sea! Isn't great!"

"Yeah." Beck muttered, thinking about how awful it would be to have the entire gym decorated like the ocean floor.

"Oh come on!" Lizzie pestered her. "It'll be great!"

"Whatever you say, Liz." Beck slung her backpack over her shoulder and walked to the band room. On the way she saw some of her friends clustered around a cell phone being held by a familiar face.

"What are you showing them, Milo?"

The tall boy who was a grade lower than her flipped his phone around to show her the picture of himself wearing a ridiculous costume and waving around a sword that looked like it was made of duct tape, pool noodles and pvc pipe or something.

"Went LARPing this weekend!" He grinned.

Beck rolled her eyes at his excitement. "Did you win?"

Milo puffed out his skinny chest. "Yes I did!"

"Liar. You died first." A girl passing by commented.

"You weren't much better!" Milo retorted jokingly, sticking his tongue out at the short haired girl who stood about a foot shorter than him.

"At least I got Logan." The girl smirked.

"That was a fluke!" Milo insisted. "He had his back turned!"

"In war, backstabbers live. Especially when it comes to us against Logan and his skill level."

"I don't think that's the phrase."

"Don't care."

"Alright, Holly, stop teasing the poor kid." I butted in.

She grinned at me. "Sure, Beck." Turning and winking at Milo in a way that told him this was only over for now, she walked down the hallway, stopping at the locker of an Asian girl named Rachel.

The first bell rang and all around Beck the hallways filled.

Students moved on either side of her, and for a moment she felt the panic she felt near water. The movements of the hallway reminded her of waves.

"Beck, you coming?"

She shook herself out of her thoughts when she heard Holly's voice. The two of them had first hour together.

"Yeah, I'm coming."

As she started towards her class she thought she felt someone staring at her. When she turned, no one was looking her way.

Shrugging, she turned back and walked down the hall, hearing the rain pounding on the windows intensify.