Chapter 7

Beck spent ten minutes glaring at Piper and Jason.

"Quit giving me that look." Piper said exasperatedly. "This is for your own safety."

"And why is that?" Beck asked. "So far it's you who've brought the danger."

"Not true."

"Okay, I got it." Jamie came through the door, holding Beck's purse and coat in the air triumphantly. "Oh gods, what happened?"

"She's a fighter. We've got it under control." Piper shrugged. Beck shot her another glare.

"Okay, let's explain now, then get out of here." Jamie grabbed a desk and turned it so he could face Beck. She glared at him as well. "Oh come on, Beck. You'll get it once we explain."

"Then start talking. I can still scream loud enough to get a chaperone down here."

Jamie sighed and looked to Piper. "How were you introduced to all of this?"

"Someone pushed me off the Sky Walk over the Grand Canyon and Jason saved me and flew back up." She replied, straight-faced.

"Okay, not the best way to explain then..." Jamie muttered.

Jason turned to Beck. "I'm going to say some things, you have to tell me whether they are true or false. The only catch is that all of them are one or the other, it's not a mix of both."

Beck rolled her eyes, but sensed this was her best shot. "Fine."

"Vikings wore horned helmets."

"False. That was introduced in the 1900s for a play."

Jason nodded. "Sushi is raw fish."

"Wrong. Sushi is any dish with vinegared rice. It may contain raw fish, but that's not what defines it as sushi." Beck sighed and began tapping her fingernails on the desk. "Is this going somewhere?"

"Yes, keep answering. Fortune cookies are Chinese."

"They're Japanese."

"Buddha was obese."

"Incorrect."

"Coffee is made from beans."

"It's from a seed that's called a bean or a cherry."

"Chameleons change color to match their surrounding."

"No, they change based on temperature and other variables."

"The Great Wall of China is visible from space."

Beck snorted. "Highly unlikely."

Now they were just firing back and forth, Jason spitting out a question, Beck retorting quickly.

"The moon-"

"Has a dark side? Not true. What we see is a reflection."

"The tongue has different sections for different tastes."

"No."

"Napoleon was short."

"Nope. 5'7"."

"Bulls hate red."

"They're color blind, like most animals." Beck raised an eyebrow at him, wondering where this was going.

"Satan rules Hell."

"No. It's his prison, not his kingdom."

Jason smiled at her now.

"Greek and Roman mythologies are just myths."

"Tru-" Beck's voice cut off as her brain reminded her that he had said all of them were true or false, not a mix. "But, that's impossible."

"I beg to differ." Jamie gestured to his legs.

Beck stared at him before the answer popped into her head.

"You're a satyr!"

"Guilty." He grinned at her.

"Wait, then how old are you? Are you actually sixteen?"

"Nope. I'm turning thirty two in few weeks."

"But- this is impossible! The gods don't exist!" There was a light peal of thunder outside.

"I wouldn't say that too loudly." Jason put in. "My dad doesn't like it when he doesn't get attention."

"Your dad?" Beck spluttered. "Your dad is Zeus?!"

"Technically Jupiter, but they're basically the same." He shrugged.

"And you?" Beck turned to Piper.

"Daughter of Aphrodite." She shrugged. "Not as glamorous as you'd think."

Beck looked at the three of them, opening her mouth to say something and then closing it again as she tried to process the information she'd been given. Finally she began to shake her head violently.

"No. Nope, this isn't happening, someone drugged me or something, this isn't real, it's not real, it's-"

"You're not high." Piper broke in. "You're just in denial."

"Why are you telling me this?" Beck asked. "Why drag me into this world full of danger and monsters and death? I have a life to live, if you're looking for someone to help with whatever craziness Zeus has caused in your world, think again!" She stood and continued to yell at them. "What do you want, me to join you in some fight against whichever Titan Zeus angered? I don't fight, not the way you do! I'm going back to my normal life and you better leave me alone from now on! You dragged me into this, now get me out! Call off whatever monsters you've set on me! That's why they were there, weren't they? To get me to join you out of fear? Well it's not happening!"

"Whoa, whoa! We never sent any of those monsters after you!" Jason exclaimed, looking rather horrified at the thought, though Beck didn't know why. It's not like they were close, she'd just met him.

"Then why did they attack me?" She bellowed back.

"Because you're a demigod!" Piper snapped, seeming fed up with her. "You're a demigod, just like us, and the monsters can smell that. They followed your scent and found you here, they attacked you because they can smell you!"

Beck stared at her. "They what?"