Chapter 30

"It's not unheard of to be out of tune with your powers."

Beck looked up from the book she was reading to stare blankly at Percy. "What?"

He sat down on the bunk next to hers. Beck set down her book and shifted to face him, sitting cross-legged.

"There's an Ares girl who I haven't heard raise her voice in the four years she's lived here. And a mute son of Apollo. Thalia, the Hunt's lieutenant- don't tell her I said this by the way- is afraid of heights. Dorian Green is color blind."

Beck sat silently as he continued. "There are a couple Hephaestus kids who are afraid of fire, and a Hypnos girl with really bad insomnia. Just about every cabin has its misfit."

"Hades?" Beck challenged.

"Ask Nico. I'm pretty sure I know what it is but I can't guarantee anything."

"So you're saying I'm just the token weirdo in our cabin?"

Percy sighed. "No, Beck. I'm saying you're not alone. You're not even the only one in this cabin."

She frowned, looking at him. "But you're always in the water?"

He laughed a little bitterly. "Yeah.... I'm afraid of drowning. I can literally breathe underwater, but it terrifies me."

"Why?" Beck asked curiously.

Percy rested his elbows on his knees. "A couple years ago, there was this war. The war against Gaia. I had to go on a quest to Alaska with Frank and Hazel, from the Roman camp.... Alaska is where the gods have no influence. I ended up in a muskeg- it's kind of like-"

"I know what it is." She nodded quickly.

Percy nodded along with her. "Well basically what happened was I got sucked in, and my powers weren't working. I was drowning in this disgusting, muddy water, and it was the most terrifying experience of my life."

Beck looked at him sympathetically.

"Then not long after that, Annabeth and I fell into Tartarus.... And that opened another can of worms. I can control any liquid, not just water. I nearly made a goddess fade in Tartarus, and that terrified me too. But what scared me most was the look on her face when she saw me doing it."

He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands. "Basically what I'm saying is I understand your fear. And if you ever want me to help you with it, or if you need to talk about it, I'm always open."

Beck nodded slowly. "Thank you, Percy...."

He looked up at her. "That's what brothers are for, right?"

She smiled. "I suppose.... and beating up stupid boys."

Percy laughed. "Somehow I doubt you need my help with that. You're pretty handy with that stick of yours."

"Stick? How dare you!" Beck gasped in mock offense.

He grinned. "What are you gonna do about it?"

She jumped across the aisle between the beds and tackled him backwards onto the one he was sitting on.

Percy laughed and began to wrestle her.

They writhed back and forth for a few minutes before Percy finally pinned Beck. He was careful enough to keep from hurting her, but still held her firm. "Pinned ya!"

"Okay Nala." She snorted.

"Was that a Lion King reference?"

"Maybe...." 

Percy chuckled.

"Get off of me you fat oaf, I can't breathe."

"That's not fat, it's muscle."

"Whatever, get it off of me." Beck squirmed.

He got off of her, laughing.

Beck laughed too, rolling onto her back. "You were so not going a hundred percent."

"I didn't want to hurt you." He chuckled. "You're a surprisingly fragile person."

"That's not my fault."

"Arguably it is, kid. You're an active person, if you don't-"

There was a knock at the door. Percy looked up curiously. "Come in."

Piper peeked in. "So Chiron's letting us use the projector to watch a movie tonight at campfire and I'm taking a poll. It's by cabin, what movie do you two want to watch tonight?"

Percy and Beck looked at each other. "Lion King?"

The man nodded and turned to Piper. "Lion King."

She smiled and nodded. "I'll let you guys know at dinner what the final verdict is."

"Thanks, Pipes."

The daughter of Aphrodite ducked out of the building.

"You guys are pretty close, aren't you?" Beck glanced at Percy.

"Yeah. She's like the little sister I never had. Well, I mean...."

"I get it." She chuckled. "How long have you known her?"

He tilted his head, thinking for a moment. "I think about three years now."

"Man." Beck sighed. "I haven't talked to my friends in so long.... I've written them letters, but that's not quite the same as how we used to talk."

Percy shot her a sympathetic look. "It's hard. I was lucky, my best friend was actually my satyr so when I got to camp I wasn't missing anything."

"Yeah. Lucky you." She flopped down on the bed.

"I'm sorry, Beck. We're always working on that stuff, and the Hephaestus kids have been tinkering with mortal technologies. Hopefully soon we'll have some remedies to that stuff."