Chapter 10

"How's your leg, Chiron?" Jason asked.

"Healing." The old man replied simply.

"Okay, if we're going off of old myths, shouldn't this guy be a centaur?" Beck asked, eager to poke a hole in the crazy theory that these people seemed to believe.

"He is." Piper said. "The wheelchair has a magical compartment for his horse body. He broke his leg a few weeks ago and it needs to heal."

Beck scowled. "Very convenient."

"I see you do not trust your companions, child." Chiron said, his dark eyes watching her.

"No, I don't. They kidnapped me from my school dance."

"We didn't kidnap you!" Jamie exclaimed.

"Yes, you did. I'm going home." Beck announced angrily, pulling her phone from her pocket.

"Sorry, you can't do that." Jason told her.

"Why not?"

He reached for her phone instead of answering, and Beck pulled away.

"Why not?" She repeated.

"You've got no way of defending yourself." Jason insisted. "And your phone will attract monsters, even behind the barrier."

"So I can't even call my mom?"

"Nope." Jamie shook his head. "Sorry, Beck."

Beck glared at all of them and shoved her cell back in her pocket. "And if I just don't give you my phone?"

"We have several sons of Hermes on the grounds that would be more than happy to relieve you of it." Piper shrugged. "Or I could just order you to hand it over."

"And why would I listen to you?"

"Do you remember the incident in the hall at your school?" She retorted.

Beck scowled, then pulled her phone back out slowly and handed it over.

"The harpies are out already, so tonight you four can sleep here." Chiron said.

"Unless Jason feels like knocking some of them over to take you to one of the cabins." Jamie pointed out.

"I think it's fine if we just stay here." Piper dropped onto the couch and made herself comfortable. Jason took the spot next to her, conveying his thoughts very clearly.

"I've been looking for demigods for a few months. What difference is another night going to make?" Jamie shrugged.

"And I guess I don't have a choice in the matter." Beck grumbled, taking the other couch.

Jamie curled himself into a ball on one of the chairs and Chiron wheeled over to a closet, pulling out a few blankets and pillows.

"Tomorrow morning, I would like one of you to show..."

"Beck Gibbson." Beck grabbed a blanket and pillow from the pile the old centaur had set on the coffee table.

"Show Beck around camp, show her the orientation video, then take her to the Hermes cabin to get settled in."

"Alright, I'll do it." Jason said.

"Goodnight, children." Chiron said.

-------------------------------------

"Jason, who was the guy in the video?" Beck asked.

"Which guy?" The blond boy turned to frown at her, pausing his commentary as he showed her around the camp.

"He looked a little older than you and he had really dark hair and sea-colored eyes."

"Oh! That's Percy. You'll meet him sooner or later, he's basically the Camp leader. Why?"

Beck shrugged. "He seemed familiar."

"Well he has been on the news before for random blowing up of certain things."

"Like what?"

Jason stopped a moment to think. "Various damages to the Saint Louis Arch, a few places in Greece and Rome, he had a sword fight on a beach with a god that was announced on the news as a gun fight with a kidnapper, and quite a few other things."

Beck frowned. She did remember seeing some of those stories, but she wasn't sure that's what had triggered the sense of familiarity.

"Must be it." She finally muttered.

Jason nodded. "Alright, I've shown you most of the camp, I'm going to take you down to the cabins and introduce you to the Hermes kids. You'll be staying there until you get claimed by your dad-by the way, how old are you?"

"16."

He frowned. "Huh. That's not supposed to happen."

"What's not supposed to happen?"

"Nothing." He waved it off and led her down to the cabins.

"So these cabins are all for different gods?" Beck scanned the huge circle of cabins.

"Yep. The twelve Olympians have the Omega shaped formation, then minor gods and goddesses around them." Jason headed straight for a rather plain looking cabin and knocked loudly on the door.

"Hang on, hang on!" A voice shouted from inside.

The door opened and a guy about 4 years older than Beck stepped out.

"'Sup, Jason?"

"Hey, Aaron, I've got a new camper for you."

"Sweet! What's your name kiddo?"

Beck looked at him funny. "What did you call me?"

"Kiddo?" He looked confused. "If you don't like it I won't call you it."

"No, no, I just knew someone in high school who called me that."

"Oh. I picked it up from a friend a few years ago." He shrugged.

"Well, Aaron, you're in charge of taking Beck to get her weapon and getting her situated in the cabin, alright?" Jason asked.

"Kid, I know what I'm doing."

"I'm only two years younger than you."

"Makes you a kid to me, doesn't it?" He flashed a cocky grin. "C'mon...what did you say your name was?"

"Uh, I didn't. I'm Beck."

He nodded. "Well, c'mon Beck. Let's get going."