*Chapter 2* : And first year flew by...

The initial few months of first year flew past with carving various 3D shapes ( cubes, cuboids, cylinders and cones) as well as the various teeth present in one's dental arch like central and lateral incisors, canines, premolars and finally the molars. It was a herculean task to finish all these carvings and submit them on time. The department of Prosthodontics ( which deals with making dentures, other prosthetics and fixtures ) too loaded us with endless work like making cubes and cones out of plaster and impressions using impression compound and casts. By the time the final exams came around we were exhausted. Conservative dentistry made us dig 1 cm deep cavities in plaster cubes using a tool called as a chisel. It was all interesting at first, but became tiring as it piled up in the end. Physiology teachers were strict, biochemistry was boring as hell and dental histology slides were confusing to identify.

Turned out that Desh had just been fooling around with me. I was a little disappointed in the beginning when I heard that, but it was a good thing too- since I realized that my crush on him had been too miniscule to act on.

When we got time, we laughed about how kiddish we were in the beginning of the year and how we grew up to be. I was very comfortable with him now and he was pretty much one of my closest friends. I was really happy we hadn't tried a romantic relationship since a breakup could have ruined things. I was more confident now, free with my feelings and less shy as a person. I was able to share a lot more secrets with him than I could before. He almost became like a second brother. But I always wondered if he too DID have a crush on me in the beginning of the year. I don't think I imagined the times he used to assume I didn't notice him and glance at me. Or the way he used to subtly call me with endearments and brush it off as friendly. Or the eye contact we used to share, which definitely filled my stomach with butterflies.

But for now, I had accepted the unspoken decision we had come to. We were friends and nothing more. Kajal still teased me with him though. According to her, we would have been perfect. Sometimes, even I wonder why we never happened. And that's when it struck me that God must have had something else in store for me.

---------------------------x-------------------------------------

Hello peeps,

Sorry for the really short chapter but it had to be done. The following chapters are a lot more interesting...

Do you think Riya and Desh still have a chance together? You need to read more to find out.

Adios amigos,

:) harshini :)
Don't forget to read, vote and comment! :D