Epilogue

I couldn't believe that the day had finally arrived.
I was getting engaged to Arya Mahadevan, the love of my life. He had become more than just a soulmate to me in the five years that I had gotten to know him. He had become my best friend, my companion, my shoulder to lean on and my advisor.

I looked at the mirror. I could hardly recognise the woman standing in front of me. I had applied thick Kajal, mascara on my eyelashes and eyeliner on my upper eyelid. My hair was plaited into a braid and it was decorated with jasmine flowers. I was wearing a trendy design gold set and a forehead ornament that hooked into my hair.

The sari I was decked in was dark orange in colour and had white stones all across it. The border was dark green with gold piping, and so was the blouse.
I was wearing a black coloured spiral shaped bindi and my arms were jingling as I moved them because of the plenty of bangles adorning them.

Mom came and hugged me and said
"You look beautiful Riya, Arya is definitely a lucky man."

I smiled shyly and blushed. Then, dad came over with a big smile. " I can't believe my daughter is so grown up already. You're going to leave both of us so soon."

" Don't say that dad," I said. " I still have a lot of time with you. The wedding's date hasn't been fixed yet. This is just the engagement."

" I know, I know, but it just feels you've become so independent that you don't need us anymore."

" Dad...," I said, getting emotional and hugging him.

Then we all got into the car arranged from the hotel by Arya's parents and proceeded towards his house.

The engagement was going to happen there, since their house was beautiful and spacious.

As we approached nearer and nearer, we could see the entrance decorated with a plethora of colourful hanging flowers and dazzling lights. There was an artistic Rangoli drawn right outside the gate, welcoming us. Also, Arya's parents and relatives were gathered around the gate to greet us. They all had big broad smiles on their faces and Arya's mom instructed me to enter the house with my right leg, after I got out of the car.

As we entered the beautifully decorated mansion, one of Arya's cousins who was holding a silver plate containing roses, and two small cups containing kumkum and sandalwood paste, offered it to us. At the same time another girl sprinkled rosewater on all of us.

Then we went and settled ourselves in the place assigned for the function. My aunts and other ladies of our family, carrying many plates having different fruits, varieties of nuts, sugar candies, rose garlands for me and Arya and dress for Arya, arranged them around the central rangoli in the room where the function was going to take place. There were two tall, beautiful silver oil lamps on either side of the planks Arya and I had to sit on. The lamps were already lit, giving the place an auspicious atmosphere.

The priest arrived shortly and so did Arya. He was looking so differently handsome in his white silk dhothi and silk shirt. As soon as our eyes met, he gave me a radiant smile and a look of admiration. Just the gaze exchanged between us spoke a thousand words.

Then the priest made us sit on the planks next to each other. Arya's mom made me wear the rose garland and my father put the other one around Arya' neck.

My father offered the plate containing Arya's new dress (specially selected for him by me) to him. Then Arya's mom gave me a grand silk brocaded saree, which was specially chosen by Arya and told me to go and change into it.

After changing into our new attire and wearing the garlands, we came back and sat down in the same position. Arya's mom surprised me by giving me a beautiful diamond set as an engagement gift. My father also presented Arya with a Rolex. All of us were extremely happy.