>>Chapter 3<<

Ember's P.O.V

I opened my eyes and saw my leg in a cast. I heard rustling all around me and it came back to me. I was in the makeshift hospital. "Good, you're awake." Doctor Esten said. "Yes ma'am." I said trying to get up. "Take it easy. While you were under we decided to take the bullet out your shoulder and cast your leg up. We also found a jagged, quarter size piece of metal in your right lung. We got it out and stitched your lung up so you should be okay with proper recovery time as long as you don't tear the stitch." She informed me.

I continued to try and get up and Doctor Esten handed me some crutches. "One last thing before you go. If your leg or lung doesn't heal properly you won't be able to be in the Marine Core any more." She said and that bummed me out. Regardless, I hopped out on my crutches to Master Sargents office.

"Hey Sargent- you earned your new rank, how are you holding up?" Master Sargent asked. "Well if recovery goes fine, I should be able to go back into service." I said. "Listen, Lance Corporal White's funeral is tomorrow, you have a plane ticket back home at 0400, Your unit is coming home with you. From there, you'll stay in recovery for 6 months while your unit takes some R&R time to mourn. Then you will get re-evaluated and if you're cleared you'll go back into service over here." He said to me.

~

I got off the plane in my cami's, limping with my crutches, my unit following after me. The people at Yeager airport looked at us and instantly figured out that we were marines. "Thank you for your service." Many people said as I struggled by and I just fake smiled. To my surprise, my parents weren't here to pick us up. Guess they didn't know we were coming home. "Sargent White, what's the plan?" Private Cole asked.

"We are going to the bus stop because my parents didn't know I was coming home apparently." I said and moved towards the exit. I saw tons of people staring at me, some with gratitude in their eyes, others with compassion. I hobbled outside, Private Hayes trying to help me and stood at the bus stop, thinking about my brother.
Why him?

The bus pulled around the corner and a Private Cole helped me on. "Thank you, Private." I said. "No problem Sarg." He said back. I sat down in a seat near the back next to a man in his 60's, while my unit packed in the seat next to me.

"So where'd you come back from?" He asked me. "Pakistan." I said hardly. "I was in Vietnam, got my leg blown off." He said with a laugh, pulling his pant leg up to show a amputated leg. "What happened to you?" He asked. "A suicide bomber." Was all I dared to say, fearing that I might break down. I already did that once in front of my unit, I wasn't going to show my weakness again.

"It happens to the best of us." He said. "You said you were in the military? What was your rank?" I asked him trying to change the subject off of me. "I'm just a private, what about you?" He said.

"I'm a Sargent." I said, I got promoted after the explosion because of my bravery, strong will, and leadership. "Wow, good job honey." He said in astonishment and I just sat there. I didn't want to show emotion, I felt vacant. I didn't want to fake smile because that just hurt more. I just felt rage inside. Nothing else. I wanted to kill every single last one Pakistan soldier.

"Thank you." I said emotionlessly. My stop was coming up soon. "Thank you for letting me sit with you." I said to him and got up. I hopped to the front and the doors opened. My unit and I got off and began hobbling down the block. Not to far from my parents house, I saw one of my neighbors.

"Hey there Ember! Nice to see you again!" David said. "Hi sir." I said back, blankly. "So, where's your brother?" He asked and I choked up. "He died." Private Williams said emotionlessly.

"I'm so sorry, Ember. I had no idea." He said weakly. "Yeah, well. Now you do!" I snapped and continued to move on. I hopped up the stairs with great difficulty. Private Hayes tried to helped me but I didn't allow it. I opened the door and we stepped in. "Anybody here?" I asked and we took off our hats.