Chapter 17

The picture is of Megan Leavey and her now laid to rest mwd Rex. (My idols) But in this story, they are Ember and Jax.

Ember's P.O.V

"It's time to face your fears." Petal called to us and led us outside. We rounded the building corner and we saw 2 German Shepherds and 2 Belgian Malinois. I looked at them in amazement and started to get excited. These creatures are so so beautiful. "Face our fears?" I asked.

"Yes, you are going to run away from the dogs and they are going to take you down." He said calmly. I shook with nervous energy as they suited me up in the bulky protection. Someone holding the short haired german shepherd screamed at me to start running. I sprinted as fast as I could but I didn't make it very far before they screamed, "I'm releasing the dog!" I heard the dogs feet quickly smack the ground and unexpectedly crash into me while biting into the upper part of my arm - where all the nerves were.

I screamed out in pain, the pressure just a bit too much. Someone said "Bluff." in a sharp tone and the dog instantly let go of my arm, sat down, and flashed its teeth while barking in my face. My eyes wided in amazement. This was my dog.

"Thank you, Sergeant White for your bravery of going first. You may get up and proceed to take you dog back to the starting line. Next up!" Patel called out and I grabbed my dogs leash confidently and tugged it with me. It stopped barking once I told to to zip it. I walked back to the line I started to run from and watched as my fellow classmate ran for his life once the called out, "Run!"

The man that released my dog to obtain me handed me a piece of paper. "Dog's name, classifications, and commands. He already has his literal dog tags on his collar." He said to me and curtly left. I read the paper and on it it said my dog's name was Jax. "Oh, you're such a good marine Jax." I called out to him as I watched my fellow classmate get taken down by a Belgian Malinois. After all four of us were done with the introductions, Patel called out. "These animals are not your pets, these animals are what your life is going to depend on when you're out in the field. Quite Literally. The thing you're standing beside is what you will rely on to keep you alive. These are not average dogs, do not treat them as such. They are trained to kill anything that may come against and protect you when you are down. You need to do the same for them. You will go through a 3 week course of training with your dog to see if you can handle them and if you can, we'll ship you off and hopefully you'll make us proud. First training session is at grounds at 1600. With that, Dismissed." I took a step back, screamed "eye eye sir," and did an about face.

I was so excited I could scream and jump up and down, but Marines don't do that. Instead, I walked back to my room at base. I held the leash tight as Jax barked at a passing stranger, ready to kill. "I'm sorry." I quickly smiled at the stranger with a nervous laugh. "Easy, boy." I said and patted his head. "We need to get you a muzzle." I said to him as I opened my room door. I let go of the leash as soon as I got in and was able to shut the door. I watched the 80 pound beast go over to things and smell them, familiarizing himself with them. I looked at him and thought of my brother. Maybe if I would have had Jax things would be different. Maybe Jullian would still be alive.

I sighed and patted my bed. "Come, Jax." I commanded and he quickly came by my side, awaiting the next command. I looked at the paper and it said he knew how to "Sit, stay, come, leave it, drop it, jump, heel, attack, realese, run, track, and quiet." "Damn, Jax. You're qualified." I laughed, he was still awaiting a command. "Up!" I saod patting the bed, he got the signal and jumped up. "Down." I got in bed beside of him and set an alarm for four o'clock. I tried to snuggle up beside of him but he growled. "Okay okay, we'll just have to bond first I guess." I chuckled. I went to sleep with my new partner beside of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Short ik , sorry i havent updated in 37 years.

-emilyyyy

799 words