Chapter 16

Ember's P.O.V

The jeep jostled me for 4 hours. We were 4 hours from base. I sighed as I got out of the jeep and entered the building. I was so glad to see Master Sergeant Kitts. He came up and hugged me. "Damn, you look like hell." He said. "The mountains do that to you." I replied and watched him as he scanned over my unit.

"Private Cole?" He questioned. "Died at the facility we were held at. Tortured to death. I tried to save him but he was too far gone." I explained, getting choked up. I watched my love die. I huffed out and forced a smile. "Let's get you to the clinic."

I walked down to the sterile room and laid down on the gurney. It wasn't too long before somebody came and started poking me. They put an IV in me and started asking me questions. It was all a blur. I eventually fell asleep.

I woke up in a hospital gown and there was stitches in me. I groaned when I moved, my body stiff from the weeks in the rough terrain. "Team?" I called out, wondering where they are. "Serg?" Crawford replied. "Where's everyone else?" I said groggily, trying to stand up and look around. The IV's pulled at me so I had to drag the little monitor around with me. I looked around curtains and found a sleeping Madison.

I continued to search and found the rest of my team. After, I sat down in the chair next to Crawford's gurney. "You did it, Serg. You got us back." She said to me and I nodded. "Not all of us." I said, remembering Colton's guts spilling out on the table. "Don't focus on that. You did you're best." She said back.

"Looks like my best isn't enough."

A couple of days later, we were settled in at our old bunks and everything was falling back into place. It's regular order. I was walking to Master Sergeant Kitts office after he send someone to get me. I stepped into his office and he told to take a seat. "Yes, sir."

"You still up for this?" He asked me. I took a breath and nodded my head. "Yes, it's what Julian would have wanted." He looked at me. "It's not about what he wants anymore. It's about what you want." He said stiffly. I guess he's right.

"I understand, sir. Yes, I still want to do this." I said, making my final decision. "Well, with that. How do feel about a dog?" He asked and my heart raced. I applied for a military working dog (MWD) a little while back. "That sounds great, sir." I said, containing my excitement.

"You've been assigned a spot in the 17th training unit at Lackland Air Force 31K Training facility in Texas. You go in a couple weeks." He said and he dismissed me. I was so excited for this.

I walked back to the bunks and announced to my team my new assignment. "Wow, Serg." They said, sounding a bit disappointed. "What?" I asked. "I guess we're just sad to see you go." Madison said. "I'll be back with my dog and hopefully preventing people from getting blown up by IEDs." I said with a smile. "Meanwhile, we can enjoy the time we have together." I said sounding mushy. I scrunched up my face at what I just said and laughed.

*3 weeks later*

I got out of my rental car and went up to the fence with a sign on it that said "Caution : Military Working Dogs Training." . There was a black german shepherd going over and through the course design before he ran over to a man in a body suit. He jumped up and bit his arm. The dog hit him with such force that the big man was forced to the ground. The dog didn't let up until the handler called him back. I marveled at the amazing beast.

"Sergeant White?" Somebody called my name. I looked towards the voice and found a buff man. He had a dark tan complexion. "Hello." I called out and made my way to shake his hand. Upon closer inspection, he looked Native American. I smiled at him and continued into the building,

"Ready to meet your dog?" He asked with a smirk on his face. I looked into his blue eyes with a questioning look. He led me to a room with 4 other people. I looked around and saw ammo cans with leashes on each one. I laughed when I saw it. He directed each of the students to one of the ammo cans.

"Corporal Jones, meet baby. Private Davis, honey. Sergeant Doss, sugar. And Sergeant White, princess." I smiled as I stood beside my ammo can named princess. "Take the leash and act as if it is a real dog. This ammo can is to prepare you for your real life dog. Take care of an ammo can, take care of a dog." He stated.

"I am First Sergeant Petal. You may call me Patel." He said. "Now, let's say your dog just sensed something. Most will lay down or sit to indicate that. Show your dog affection." He said and looked at us. We just stood there a bit confused.

"Give your dog affection!" He said again and we began patting out ammo cans. "Good girl, princess." I said laughing, hyping up a ammo can.

This was going to be a long couple of weeks.

_----___---___-_--___-_--_------____

ooooooOOOOOooooOoo

MWDs are beautiful creatures and I am hopefully going to be a handler in the army.

whoop whoop

942 words