[2] Agent Grant Ward

He let it go. He knew that no matter what he did he would never get the thing he wanted most. He was who he was, and he had done what he had done, but it was all for the better.

      He finished in the washroom and walked back into his main bedroom and looked around, it was a decent size and it was a normal shape, a rounded type rectangle. The walls were painted beige and he had never liked the colour, it was so bland and glum, well maybe it was perfect, for him at least. He walked to the other end of his room parallel to his bathroom door. He pulled opened one of his drawers to grab a tight fit grey t-shirt. He then grabbed a pair of dark blue jeans and began to change hastily, as if he was in a rush. Once he had slipped on his shirt you could see how built he was, he wasn't overly built, but he was muscular enough that you could see his muscles bulge beneath his shirt.

      He walked to his door, which was metal, and looked as though it was the door to a jail cell. He pushed the door open with ease. He peered out into the hall to ensure that he was the first one awake. He took two steps into the hall, but then he heard another pair of footsteps coming from behind him, "You always beat me to the punch May" he said, amused by her constant punctuality. He spun around to face the sound of the footsteps, there stood Agent May. May was smaller than average height for a woman, she was Asian and always had a sour look on her face, May was about five years older than him, but she was just a lethal. "Maybe you should stop lallygagging, then you might actually get up before me" she said with a hint of distain, all he did was flash an aggravated smirk.

     He followed behind her as she passed his room and continued down the hall. Soon they reached the end of the hall and entered into a larger living area. There was a kitchen along the farthest wall and ended with a small round wooden table. Two feet in front of that table was a set of four soft lounge chairs that encircled a small dark maple coffee table. The wall to the left of the lounge chairs supported a large black trimmed television screen. Opposite to the wall with the television there was a metal staircase that ascended above, the top out of view.

      He and May loitered in the living area for a while, almost an hour. They waited passing the time by preparing the others breakfast as well as their own, both made themselves a cup of coffee and sat in the lounge chairs, occupying two of the four. The time then came for the others to rise from their slumber. By the time that had occurred the time was almost 8:30 A.M. The team finally began shuffling in at their usual morning pace, slow. Only him and May were wide awake and ready for the day.

      The first to enter were Fitz and Simmons, as usual they were both attached at the hip. Fitz was one of the scientists, and a brilliant one at that, his speciality was in engineering and mechanics, he always had new ideas and ways to improve their agency. He was about average height and was of average looks, he had short light brown curly hair. His eyes were a light blue, and when you really looked at then they resembled those of a puppy dog. Fitz was not very built at all, he was thin but not toned. He was always shy around people he didn't know especially pretty girls, and was never big on taking risks. Fitz was soft spoken for an Scotsman and was not very outgoing or brave, but he made up for what he lacked in kindness and a big heart.

      Simmons, like Fitz was a scientist and probably just as brilliant, but in a totally different field. Simmons' expertise was in biology and biochemistry. Her hair was a brownish gold that was darker at the top but became lighter as it neared the ends. Her eyes were golden brown and her face was slender and long and she was of a smaller build. She was about five foot four and usually wore a shoe with a slight heel to give her some height. Simmons was soft spoken and very polite, after all she was British. She always seemed positive and was emotional about those she cared for.

      Second to enter the room was Skye, she was a member of a group called the Rising Tide, but decided to join their agency about a month back. She had been training with Grant, but was not yet a full agent. Skye was a complex person with a complex back round, three words pretty much summed it up, her childhood sucked. But she didn't let her past interfere with her present life, she was a tough woman, who was also headstrong, ambitious, and always persevered. Skye had long wavy dark chestnut hair that shined in the perfect light. Her eyes were a deep brown and her skin was a light tan, she looked as if she came from an Asian and Latino background. Her face was rounded perfectly and her features were soft and subtle. Being a former member of the Rising Tide, Skye was the computer whiz of the crew, she could tackle just about any technological problem swiftly. She could pack a punch, but was nowhere near as deadly as May and Grant.

      Finally Phil Coulson walked in, the leader, the captain, the man with the plan. Coulson always had his head on straight even when his team was on the line, if he didn't they would probably end up dead. He was the oldest of the team, but was still tough as nails. At fifty three he had to be in shape if he wanted to keep up with the younger members. Coulson had a full head of brown hair, but he had the beginnings of a receding hair line. He didn't quite look his age, he looked about five years younger than he actually was. Phil had greenish blue eyes that always had a glimmer of mischievousness. Coulson wasn't especially good looking but he had a quirky attractiveness, an odd shaped nose and ears that jutted out at the sides a bit. Although he might not have been a real looker, he made up for it with his leadership qualities, caring nature, and lighting fast humour and wit.

Now that the entire crew was in the room they finally spoke, "Morning" Coulson said with a small yawn. The others nodded to Coulson's greeting. Then abruptly a red light began flashing above their heads. They all bolted up the metal stairs, but not in a panic. As the reached the top an even larger area was revealed, the control centre. In front of them was a row of computers and keyboards and beyond that, a wall of glass that led to the large science lab. To the right of the computers was a long corridor that led farther into the base. Then to the left was another set of corridors that led off into the interrogation room, armoury, and training room.

"What was the alarm for?" May asked turning to Skye as she sat down at one of the computers. She strummed her fingers along the keyboard and the screen in front of her turned on showing their emblem for their organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. The largest screen above the row of computers flickered on and showed a map of the world. The screen then enlarged the part of the world known as Seeley Lake, Montana.

"You know what that means" Skye said reluctantly, "Ward, you good for this one?" Coulson asked Ward cautiously. "Ready when you need me Coulson" he smirked. "Well Grant you better suit up, you're taking a little trip to Montana." Coulson responded amusingly.

Grant smiled ready for some action.