[7] New Discovery

Lily thought about his question for a long time, weighing the pros and cons of her decision. Although she didn't trust Grant entirely, he still wanted her to be at SHIELD, why? She then thought about Jemma and Coulson, they seemed trustworthy and although Agent May wasn't the warm and fuzzy type, Lily still liked the odds of a fifty fifty split between trustworthy and untrustworthy. The speech Coulson had given her had also persuaded her to want to join, she could make such a difference. But first she needed a few more answers.

"What else does SHIELD do?" she began. Coulson grinned at her as he thought about his answer, "Well SHIELD is a government organization and SHIELD stands for Strategic Homeland Intervention and Enforcement Logistics Division. Basically we protect people from the news they're not ready to hear, like dangerous alien objects, or people with unimaginable powers. We then assess and immobilize those threats or use them to our advantage. And when we can't immobilize those threats we keep the people safe."

Then Lily thought about some other questions that would make up her mind, "Where are we?" she wondered. "Well that's classified and strictly on a need to know basis, but you're safe here" he reassumed her.

Lily nodded but understood. They were a government organization, "Where would I stay?" she asked. Coulson immediately answered, "Either here at our base or on our plane during missions." He cocked his head to the side and stood in front of her hopefully, "Did that answer your questions sufficiently?" Coulson wondered.

She decided after a long pause to answer Coulson, who was waiting patiently. "Yes" she said with a smile, "And I will join SHIELD"

She went to stand up but two familiar faces walked in, Grant and Agent May. Both wore hardened expressions. May grabbed her by her arm and pressed her fingers into her shoulder and yanked her up out of her seat. Grant followed behind the duo, unfazed by May's rough treatment. They walked out into the hallway and May finally let go of her Lily's arm. Lily pushed away from her and glared at her angrily.

       May gave her a small maniacal smirk, "You attack my teammate, you feel some pain" May said bitterly as she looked down at Lily. She watched as May walked down the hall and then Grant came over to her, "Are you alright?" he asked sympathetically. Lily stared at him with a twisted expression, "Wait first you don't know me, then you call me a monster, now you're coddling me?" she said emphasizing 'you' each time.

      He chuckled a bit but then nodded and kept walking trailing after May who was waiting for them at the end of the hall. Lily shook her head not able to comprehend his actions. Not wanting to rack her brain, Lily followed Ward as they walked to the end of the hall, which was when May gave her a sour and dirty look, and the structure of the halls changed. So far all she had seen were well lit shiny grey walls, framed with bolts, but now the walls were red bricks with streaked wood flooring. As they continued down the hall they walked past a large row of computers with one large monitor above the row, and a glass wall that surrounded what looked to be a science lab, about thirty feet behind that.

      Lily stared through the glass as they approached a nearly invisible glass door, that without the knob would not have be visible. She looked through and saw a women she recognized as Jemma standing at one of the tables, then a man standing opposite to her whom you know as Leo Fitz.

May walked in to the glass encased room first and couldn't be bothered to hold the door for Grant and Lily. But Grant caught the door and held it open, she quickly walked into the room, hastily slipping under his arm. Lily stood awkwardly next to May as she waited for Jemma and Fitz to notice their arrival. They did not seem to be very observant because at that point they began arguing, more so bickering, like that of an old married couple, over the organization of a test tube rack. Impatiently May made a very loud, and obvious fake cough, which snapped the two out of their fantasy land. Fitz and Simmons spun around and faced their three guests. "She's all yours" May said suddenly and abruptly exited the same way she had entered. Grant stood there awkwardly, "Fitzsimmons, I'll leave you to your own devices. Lily, good luck" he stared at her for a split second before he exited, but he looked back at her while he walked in the direction May had left.

Lily felt quite odd just standing there with Fitz and Simmons watching her with fascination. She looked around trying not to make eye contact with the two. But they came back to reality when they realized how rude they were being. "How rude of us" the man said, "my name is Leo Fitz and my associate Jemma...," "Simmons" Lily finished already being aware of Jemma's name. "Oh you two have aquatinted yourselves" Fitz stated while glancing down at his shoes. Lily could tell Fitz was socially awkward.

Jemma then stepped in after a moment of silence and grabbed Lily by the arm. Jemma and Fitz then walked over to a metal table with different supplies on side tables next to it, which looked like the things needed to take blood and run biological samples. Simmons then tapped the table with her hand, signalling Lily to sit on top of it.

While Lily sat, Fitz and Simmons buzzed around the table preparing needles, test tubes, and syringes. Wanting to make some small talk, Lily asked the two a question as they hovered around the table. "Why did Grant call you two Fitzsimmons?" she asked as Simmons walked to another table. "Well Agent Ward has decisively chosen that name for our partnership" Simmons said speaking in quite a happy tone when she mentioned Agent Ward (or Grant, as she seemed to be the only one that called him by his first name). Lily nodded accepting that answer but then Fitz chimed in, "I actually gave Ward the idea of coming up with that name, Jemma" he said hostilely, it was then obvious that there was some sort of love triangle going on.

       Jemma held a needle in her hand, "I'm about to take some blood you'll feel a pinch" she said reassuring her that it wouldn't hurt, like she was a five year old. If Lily had been in Jemma's position she wouldn't have blamed her, Simmons did have a very powerful person sitting in front of her.

      The needle had hurt surprisingly more than Lily had first thought and a small stream of blood came from injection site. Fitz was right there with a small piece of gauze and dabbed the crook of her elbow with, wiping the blood away. Lily smiled at him and he returned it with an uncomfortable grin. Jemma took the sample of blood and quickly created a microscope slide. She peered into it and Fitz came beside her and took some more blood and created a second slide. Almost in sync they looked into the microscope and examined the slide.

      Both of them removed the slide, and in eerie unison they looked at each other with astonishment and then turned back to Lily with the same expression. Lily looked at them curiously but cautiously, not sure if she wanted to know what their expressions meant. "What?" she finally asked. Fitz and Simmons spoke in unison, and said the exact same thing, "What are your powers?" Lily at first gazed at them in confusion, but soon caught onto what they were asking. "I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, like I told Agent Coulson I can move things by just thinking about it?" she said unsure of herself. 'Why were they asking her that?' she wondered to herself as Fitz and Simmons still stared at her, smiling.

      Lily was finally fed up with their silence so she stood from the table, "What!" she said in a loud aggravated voice. Fitz and Simmons quickly got the message they nearly ran up beside her and started to explain their astonishment. "Well, there is something quite interesting in your DNA that we have never come across before, but we learned about the possibility of it in University." Fitz started to explain, "it's nothing bad, we just believe that you might be one of the most powerful enhanced individuals that we have come across. You are what people call telekinetic" Simmons added excitedly.
"Are you sure?" Lily asked in a confused voice walking away from the table and turning around to face Fitz and Simmons.

Fitz began to twiddle his thumbs as Jemma slowly explained, not wanting to aggravate Lily any further. "Well there is a genetic marker in your blood that is unique from other enhanced people that we have examined. From the way you describe your powers we believe it to be true." Jemma said in a calming voice coming closer to Lily. Lily took a step back until she hit the table behind her. "Why is this discovery so interesting?" Lily asked as she placed her hands on the table behind her. Jemma and Fitz looked shocked by her lack of intrigue. "Because it's new and we know nothing about it, and so far you're powers are one of a kind" Fitz exclaimed eagerly.

      Lily was still unsure about their excitement. But then Jemma walked up beside her. "Might you demonstrate, please. For research purposes?" she asked holding back her excitement. Jemma looked back at Fitz with a gleeful smile. Lily walked past Simmons and back to the table where Simmons and Fitz had taken her blood. She grabbed five objects off of the table, a beaker, two glass slides, googles and a piece of gauze. Then Lily walked back over to the table where Jemma stood and lined up the objects in a row. She then told Fitz and Simmons to step back.