[22] Real Epilogue

Lily POV

       Hydra has taken over SHIELD. I didn't even get the chance to become a real agent before it blew up in my face. Then there's Grant. He nearly killed Skye, she's still in intensive care, barely hanging on but she'll make it. He didn't kill me or any of us, he gave us a fighting chance by releasing me. Powers are sometimes a wonderful thing in a stressful situation. I fought off the HYDRA agents and nearly got my team killed, Grant's in the wind and there are only a handful of SHIELD agents left and they're all scattered. This is his fault, I know that it's not a reality but everything is his fault. I got close to him only to see how much of a monster he is, history really does repeat itself. I can't hate him, despite everything, I care for him. I don't love him anymore, how could I? But a part of me wouldn't be able to kill him if I got the chance, I know May would or Fitz or Jemma or Skye or Coulson, but not me.

      We never even took down WASP, the thing we set out to do in the first place.

       We're in hiding in an underground base that Fury gave Coulson, I feel like we're rats trying to survive underground, scavenging for every last scrap. We're all shaken, the newbies in the base aren't trustworthy, but they don't trust us anyways. Most of them don't trust a powered person like me, they think I'm too dangerous. I can't sleep without being assaulted by nightmares of my past, the repetition of history rekindled those long lost memories. I train harder everyday to release my anger, but all it does is make me angrier, realizing how strong I am, and how weak I was when it came to him. So that's why I'm leaving, I need to leave. I want to leave this all behind, not because I don't love the people I'm around each day, but because this isn't the life for me. I'm a teacher in Montana who met a boy when she was young and made the mistake of falling for him twice.

       I'll be gone tomorrow, in the wind like Grant, it's poetic that I do the same thing each time I meet him, I fall in love, he kills, he runs, I run, end of story. Well it's not the end for me. I'll go somewhere far away, farther than Montana. I'll start again, without him, without Melinda May, Phil Coulson, Leopold Fitz, Jemma Simmons and my dear friend Skye. I'll go somewhere where I'm not the best at poker and where I will never need to hit anyone with my ungodly powers. I want everything to change, even though I know that history will repeat itself.  I may not be with Grant Ward, but with another Grant because I just can't seem to stay away from the broken ones.

I'm not sure who I am anymore, I'm lost. All I know is that I'm enhanced and on the run and in love with a man who would never, ever be able to love me back.