Chapter 1: Visitors

I was lying in bed, and I was bored. I'm not normally, but my shift was canceled today due to an outbreak of some virus that scientists haven't identified yet, which I guess is concerning, but I'm not too worried. I made my bed and lazily brushed my hair, when suddenly I heard a loud banging noise on my door and a screaming woman's voice saying, "HELP! LET US IN! HURRY!!" My adrenaline was pumping as I booked it to my door to look out the peep hole. As I did the shouting and banging on the door was shaking my body as i pressed against. Not much was seen other than an out of focus arm making a fist repeatedly to hit my door. I felt in my gut that this was one of those true emergency situations. I took a breath and opened the door. Five people hurried inside quickly, then shut the door and hooked the latch. I stood in shock as these strangers stood breathless in my apartment. "Um. Sorry," I said. "But who are you guys?"  "That doesn't matter right now. Find stuff to barricade the door!" The girl who said that had blonde hair with beautiful green eyes. Her voice sounded similar to the sternness in the woman's while banging at the door. "Um why?" I replied as my eyes shifted to each of my new apartment guests. "Because I said so, and if you want to keep living do it." I ran to get my table as another guy and I placed it in front of the door. As soon as we stepped away from the door, we heard moaning and hissing outside. "We barely escaped that. Thank you. My name is Mackenzie" she outreached her hand out to shake mine and we both smiled. "Well," said Mackenzie looking around towards her friends, "Introduce yourselves guys. Don't be rude to our host!" They exchanged looks until a stocky muscular guy with red hair stepped up to shake my hand. "Hi, my name is Brad." He stepped away as a girl stepped up with caramel colored hair. "My name is Enid. Pleasure to meet someone with the guts to open up their apartment door to a bunch of screaming strangers." She smiled. Enid had hazel eyes and they were a mix evenly of the brown and green, even a little yellow in her left eye. Another guy who was fairly short stepped up. He had wavy brown hair and bright blue eyes. "My name is Carl, and I appreciate you saving us." The last one to greet me was a handsome dark-haired man. "Hello darling." He said as he smiled and shook my hand. We locked eyes and smiled. His dark amber eyes were like a honey trap, and I was stuck in place. "So, what is your name?" He asked with a smile. "I'm Anna, Anna Grace." I swallow and feel like I choked on my words, but he smiled. "I'm Mark." He smiled at me softly. "Okay. So, what are those things?" I asked. "They are walkers," Brad said in a flat tone. "And they suck. They try to eat anything they can reach," Brad said as he took out what was already a blood-soaked cloth in an attempt to clean his even bloodier machete. "How many people have you killed?" Carl turned to me and asked. Uh, hold on... what did this dude just say?  "What do you mean? Why would I kill people?" Carl panned to the others as they gave him that look. The look like 'Oh my god she a noob for real.' "I just needed to know." He continued on what he was going to tell me. "Okay so these, things, they can take you in an instant or anyone you love. They took my mom and god only knows where my dad is." I stared in shock. "Oh my god," I said. Brad looked down at the ground as if he too was grieving his parents. Mackenzie turned toward me. "Have you had any experience with them before, Anna?" "No, the only I've heard is about the virus." It clicked just then. "Does that.. is this.. because of the virus?"  Enid nodded to answer. I walk to my tv to turn on the news to see if there is any coverage on this, if any based on what the situation seems to be outside right now.  Mark and Enid followed me into the living room. As soon as I pick up my remote the power shuts off. "Shit! Guys," Brad said, "we need to leave now!" Walkers were hoarding outside the windows. "Okay, so how do we escape?" I asked looking around to everyone for a first logical response. "We kill a walker and cover ourselves in its guts. Oh, by the way that is what we have decided to call them." Carl replied. "Oh boy, my favorite!" Enid said sarcastically and gave Carl a quick kiss on the cheek before letting out a giggle. "C'mon guys we need to focus. You can do whatever you want later we just need to hurry now!" Mackenzie said. "I'll grab my pistol!" I said running into my room. When I came back Brad told us our plan. "Okay I'll bring one walker in and kill it so we can cover ourselves." Brad said with a grin. When he brought it in, I was surprised more didn't come in since they were hoarded at the door. "Well," Brad said "ladies first." I stepped up to it like a child not wanting to speak in front of a class, and reluctantly cut it open to cover myself in its innards. Mackenzie followed; no expression shown upon her face. Then Enid, no expression either. Finally, Mark, Carl, and then Brad finished the guts n glory session. My apartment smelled so bad; I was disgusted. I took one last look at all of my pictures and belongings. Life threw yet another curve ball, this time it was infected with a virus and explodes. Mackenzie looked over at me and gave me the rules to doing this. "Anna, when we get out there, we don't talk. We don't walk fast, and we don't shoot." I turned to Mark who was standing to the right of me, and he shot me a comforting smile. "Okay simple enough I guess." I replied. We slowly opened the door and took off into the hoard of death-smelling walkers.